Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding old SSD to new system

Options
  • 31-07-2023 2:36pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently building a new system (have all parts just need time).

I have an old piece of software that I bough many many moons ago that is not gone into a sofware as a service deal. The SSD has windows installed.

Can I install this ssd in the new system and upgrate drivers etc

Or do I need to add a new ssd as a primary drive and install the old ssd as a secondary drive?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Adding it as a primary will be a bit messy. The old Windows install may not boot depending on how old it is, and how different the hardware is. And the old Windows install will be de-activated and won't reactivate on a new motherboard. easiest just to add it as a Secondary drive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

thats what I assumed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You didn't specify how old the old SSD is. If it's an old style SATA 2.5 SSD, then a modern m.2 nvme SSD will be massively faster than it as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

its a non sata drive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The software won't run on the new system if the old drive is installed as a secondary drive. It would be have to be reinstalled on your new drive to work.

Another option is to make a virtual copy of your old drive and run it as a virtual machine on the new system.

• Advertisement

I installed a new ssd and installed windows 11. Works fine.

Installed the old SSD with Windows 10. Computer seems to put into this. All programs work there. I might see if I can upgrade to windows 11 on the old SSD.

Advertisement