Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difficulty with young named drivers on electric cars

• 31-07-2023 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭

I have four children named as drivers on an ICE car that I have just looked to replace with a BYD Atto 3. They are all under 25.

Apparently no Irish insurer will allow us to name any driver under the age of 24 on the car, they won't even quote. The Atto is in insurance class 38, the tesla model y is apparently in class 46. The classes run from 0-50 - the higher the number the higher the insurance risk.

You can get the uk classes (which apparently irish insurers piggy-back on) here:

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/groups/

Has anyone succeeded in having young drivers added as named drivers? If so could you let me know which insurer you are with? I am very disappointed to have discovered this when we were due to collect the car on Friday.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭VikingG

Just out of curiosity I put in the petrol XC40 and the Electric XC40 - That is quite a difference

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Boil kettle.

make tea.

get notepad and pen.

ring them all.

go with best policy to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

My lad is 20. Brand new full license at 19. He's named on his mother's policy...Nissan Leaf, but its with Cornmarket (for public sector workers).

I got several quotes last year with him named on my policy. Model 3. Was around 1k to add him to my policy. Left him on the other policy.

Aviva do it too.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Fian

I was able to get a quote from Aviva and via 123.ie in the end. We went with the 123.ie one, I guess I will find out which insurer they have sourced for us when the policy arrives.

They are expensive enough, but manageable. There are not many economy of scale involved in having four kids but one of them is for having them all as named drivers. I guess only one person can drive the car at a time so the addition of extra ones doesn't add too much, I suspect you are mainly charged for the youngest and the others just dilute how often the youngest will actually get access to the car.

I have been insured with Axa for a number of years, with all of the kids as named drivers, on my (recently sold) ford ecosport, but they would not even quote for the younger kids in the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Insurance companies are strange at times. 2 I rang last week don't insure Teslas. One rang back with a quote of 1600 the next day. I had gone with Aviva for under 500.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
Advertisement