Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim back hotel fee due to delayed flight?

Options
  • 31-07-2023 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My Ryanair flight to Bologna was delayed last week which meant that I missed the last train to Florence. I stayed in Bologna that night then took the train to Florence the next morning. Can I claim the missed night’s stay in Florence back from Ryanair? 

Comments

How long was your arrival in Bologna delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There is a compensation scheme in place which doesn't depend on how much you spent (or can prove you spent) because of the delay; just on how long y0u were delayed and on the distance you flew.

If you were more than three hours late arriving in Bologna, you are entitled to compensation unless the delay was due to "extraordinary circumstances" (e.g. air traffic control decisions, adverse weather). If this was a Dublin-Bologna flight, that's between 1,500 km and 3,500 km, and the appropriate compensation is €400 (which may be more or less than you spent on the hotel room — it doesn't matter).

If your departure point was somewhere closer to Bologna, and the flight distance was less than 1,500 km, the amount of compensation is €250.

If the delay was less than three hours, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

To get compensation, you apply in the first instance to the airline. You can use this form.

Advertisement