Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook suspended account for not following Community Standards?

Options
  • 30-07-2023 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

My Facebook account was suspended without any warning for apparently not following community standards.

The strange thing about this, my account has not been hacked.

I haven't posted much, nothing religious, nothing political, nothing sexual, nothing that could offend anybody.

The few photos I have posted are from me only.

I've logged in regularly, so inactivity couldn't be it.

Yet, to date Facebook is totally unable and uncoperative to tell me what kind of Community Standards I have violated.

I have objected to their decision, and am awaiting Facebook's next steps, whatever they may be.

The answers to date are that they can not tell me, or do not want to tell me the reasons, but keep answering down the same dumb line the likes of "we know how you feel" and "we are happy to help".

What is so surprising is that it happend without giving any reasons, without any warning, and the behaviour they portray lead me to think that their acting is serious and mean and my account won't be reopened and it won't go down into something like "don't worry, it's probably nothing".

Overall my feeling is that I am being judged, fined and convicted for reasons which I neither know, am not aware of, and if asked, am not told.

The current status is:

What happens next

It usually takes us just over a day to review your information. We try to review all accounts before they are disabled, but at busy times that may not be possible.

If we find your account does follow our Community Standards, you’ll be able to use Facebook again.

If we find your account doesn’t follow our Community Standards, it will be permanently disabled and you won’t be able to disagree again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Facebook unlocked my account briefly, but then locked it again this evening. Again the precise reasons are unknown apart from "not following community standards", - I haven't posted anything, haven't written any messages. Even though I've asked, I have not been given a reason.

Why is Facebook that unreliable? The whole process seems dubious to me.

Also, complaints with Facebook seem to be handled by a bot, not a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Might be worth submitting a GDPR subject access request, which requires them to give you a copy of all data they have on you. This might include data about any breaches that they noted.

I've managed to download the data, which Facebook offers. I don't know if they have more.

The problem is that they fail to tell me what I am supposed to have done wrong, and even though I've thought about every detail nothing comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Happened to a friend of mine - slightly different in that the account was hacked, phone number changed and then blocked and deleted all in the space of about 45 mins. By the time he checked his emails (there were numerous "You had a suspicious login, was this you?", "You changed your phone number, was this you?" type emails) the account was already automatically blocked and there was no right of appeal.

Apparently all the moderators were replaced by AI algorithms and there is no way to have it actually reviewed by a real person. Theres a whole reddit community with the same story - people who lost years of photos, connections, access to business accounts etc

I was guessing that it is all a bot and an AI algorithm.

The problem is that Facebook doesn't share or want to share how the algorithms work.

I never had any real classical login issues.

However I once wanted to add a person to my friends, who was sitting straight next to me and Facebook claimed that I didn't know her. How could Facebook have come up with that idea?

I would never use Facebook for business, - far too unreliable.

For support they would have to offer a real person, a human, not a bot, for starters.

Luckily I have linked in, and many friends are also on linked in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If they are claiming that you breached something, they must have some data to support this.

I've asked this question to Facebook many times, but was never given an answer.

I've also thought long and hard if I breached something, but nothing comes to light.

As written my postings are very few anyway, nothing political, nothing religious, nothing sexual, the very few photos are just pictures of countryside, and taken by me. There couldn't be any violation I could think of and yet Facebook refuses to tell me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fire fly

Hi there, this has just happened to me. I was wondering how you contacted Facebook?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As mentioned above, put in an official gdpr request to Facebook

If they have internal information in you ie breach of rules, they should be duty bound to provide that to you, along with all other data pertaining to your identification

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Have you PM’d Beasty?

• Advertisement

When the account is suspended there is still an option to communicate with "support" at the bottom right corner of the screen. At least this was the case in my situation.

However bear in mind this "support" is a chat bot who will give you the usual crap "I understand how you feel" and "please understand that....". There is continued reference towards the community standards, but no real precise reasons are given. It'll leave you guessing.

The chat bot will also try to tell you that your request has been moved up in priority, but in reality, I don't think that's true. It's just another standard answer.

That's the experience I've had while my account was suspended twice in very short period of time. And as said, I didn't post anything in between, did not like anythng in between, so without giving me any reasons as to the suspension, it'll kept me guessing.

I've tried that, no answer, no result.

I do not know who "Beasty" is?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Beasty is resident subject mod here on boards. Be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Happened to me yesterday transferring data from old phone to new.

Happened to my wife today.

Strangely was able to log in on old phone but I was blocked on the new.

Eventually I bypassed the blocked by changing the details on my Facebook that was not blocked and still active on my old phone

This seems to be different to my situation, I think.

In my case my account was suspended for something I did and violated for not following Community Standards.

However I don't know what precisely I've violated, I can't think of anything, and Facebook won't tell me, not matter how much I ask and phrase the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

At least I don't have to work with Facebook professionally.

Staying in touch with friends is one thing, but there are other ways to do that.

I have always been very careful what I post and share in facebook, als everything is logged and recorded.

Advertisement