Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearth Money Roll - Sligo,1665

Options
  • 29-07-2023 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I was searching this site for the Hearth Money Roll in County Sligo

Actually for the parish I was searching I noticed very few of the surnames remain in the area. I did find a name/surname on the Hearth money roll in a townland where my wife's father's grandfather came from, which I think is fascinating.

I assume on that site it isn't everyone as i notice some townlands missing. So I wonder is there a full list of the Hearth Money Roll for County Sligo?

I'm also wondering did every house have a Hearth or stove back then? Would the people on this list be more well off than others who may not have to pay that tax?

Post edited by Mullinabreena on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Analecta Hibernica no 24 has a list - you'll get that in the big libraries.

Grenham refers to Failte Romhat but doesn't say it's a complete list for Sligo.

You absolutely cannot assume every house had a hearth then.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Thanks pinkypinky I'll look it up and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I got my hands on the book, I'm finding it very interesting. There appears to be some townlands missing in South Sligo unfortunately, they do appear on map of Leyney, Co Sligo taken from Hiberniae Delineatio 1685 from the same period. But that could be for various reasons.

I was quite interested to see if I could find any names in the townland of Carnyara or Carniara. At the time it was spelled Carainara and appears on the map above. I thought I might find O'Haras there as the name means O'Haras Carn as they were a powerful family in the area.

One of the most common names in South Sligo today is Walsh, but this name isn't on the roll, instead an Irish version Branagh is quiet common. Its very interesting to see how some names changed and some names very common on the Hearth roll Money completely disappeared from the area. That 200 year period from the 1660s to the 1860s was very dramatic and traumatic on those people. I can trace my family surname in south Sligo to the 1820s but its not on this roll, it shows the upheaval of the previous 200 years.

Advertisement