Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling & Shipping old computer equipment to the UK, Anyone done it?

Options
  • 29-07-2023 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all, listed a few items in the marketplace a few weeks back, still have a couple unsold so I'm going to list them on ebay over the weekend.

My question is, will I make the items available in the UK, where the stuff is going have the same mains voltages and a better chance of selling or is it just a huge hassle with customs declarations?

Been in the an post website looking up commodity codes, not sure if im getting anywhere with that. not too sure how much assistance I'd get at local post office in mayo.

In a completely unrelated topic, I was thinking of visiting my mothers hometown in Antrim soon as well now that things have calmed down after the 12th. Might go into a UK post office for old times sake.

All suggestions / horror stories welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think the only important thing is an accurate description of the goods, and as close a matching export code as you can find. That SHOULD keep most import centers in the UK happy, same for the EU. An Post seem to just be ridiculously fussy with this stuff, I've not heard of other countries having the same hassle as Irish buyers/importers do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I once stripped my 20 year old tower model pc.

I've gotten 25 Euros for the old flat screen, and 10 Euros each for the PS2 mouse, the keyboard, the mainboard, one graphics card and the RAMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I live near the border and for me it's worthwhile just going to the north and using the post office. It's much cheaper than an post and has no real paperwork to fill in.

Even to other places than the UK. I shipped a small item, tracked, to the states and ti cost 13 pounds, an post was quoting me well over 50 euro.

Oops, sorry, didn't see it was a dated post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Brexit was such a colossal **** up for, well, everyone really. Looking at ordering a few bits from the UK here:

Shipping €28

Import Fee €61.58

DHL Handling Fee €20.68

^^ Ffs like....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yea, if you are able to pop up north to post you will save both yourself and the reciever the hassle of customs...but you'd still need to pack things up not to get damaged in shipping.

I always worry that the reciever will get the duties/vat bill on the UK side and not wanna pay and so whatever I'd send will get bounced/kicked around a shipping warehouse until they return it to me.

Why limit just to the UK, the EU is there :) same mains voltage of 220~240v

• Advertisement
Advertisement