Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinnitus

Options
  • 28-07-2023 9:33pm
    Administrators Posts: 353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Tinnitus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nickkohl

Anyone suffers from tinnitus?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Health Issues - OP, the thread you posted on was quite old so it's probably better to have this as a new, separate thread.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yup

It's very annoying and just getting worse

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Yeah, a droney, bassey tone, most notably in my left ear.

Went to see my doctor in January who said it was due to high blood pressure and he put me on daily 5mg dose of Amlodipine Teva .

I've noticed the sound is been getting worse of late, so I might soon go back to him to see if he'll up the dosage a bit.

Getting old is just a pox isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, it’s quite mild and only noticeable when the environment im in is ultra quiet…

like now, and first thing in the mornings…

worked in a loud environment, went to loads of gigs, listened to lots of music using in ear earphones… so I was probably destined to get it.

its quite mild, not something to make me want to start self harming or reaching for the tablets and for about 80-90% of the day it’s 100% unnoticeable….I only notice it when it’s very quiet.. usually the beginning and end of the day…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I've had it for years now, high pitched shushing or sometimes it's more percussive. The drumming is more common if my pain level from my lower back is really ferocious.

I didn't know until this thread that it had anything to do with high BP although I do have that these days.

It's low key distracting/irksome but given my state of general decrepitude it barely makes it onto the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem with Tinnitus seems to be that there isn’t a cure or indeed treatment….there really is only distractions…

dozens of medical conditions and other life events can be the catalyst for it… it’s attributed to stuff like, brain injury, stress, pregnancy, ear damage from listening to music at high levels….a prolonged time working in loud environments…

Chris Martin, Ozzy Osbourne, Neil Young, Phil Collins, Pete Townshend, Nick Cave, Dave Grohl, Richard Hawley, Barbra Streisand, Sting, Gene Simmons are all notable tinnitus sufferers… lots of them you’ll see use in ear monitors now as opposed to those big wedge monitors at their feet….

airport workers too seem particularly susceptible to tinnitus… despite appropriate PPE….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I’ve had tinnitus most of my life due to ear surgery / infections. It’s just an incessant high pitched tone in one of my ears. It usually sounds like it’s at the edge of the upper frequencies but sometimes it comes across as a loud tone in the mid frequencies, which is a bit like that tone you’d use to test audio signals - like when RTE used to be off air with a test card.

I have to say it can be very annoying, distracting and draining, but there’s nothing I can do about it apparently.

I keep a fan on in the bedroom at night to make white noise. Other than that I can’t really find any solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't ALL artists use in-ear monitors now? The wedge monitors seem to be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Yeah tinnitus suffer here from the mid 90’s I’d say! Not sure how I got it. Could be anything from loud music, living in a family home where smoking was the norm, to meditation to treat a virual meningitis I had twice in my teens!

But I can tell you one thing …. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy! It leaves me at a disadvantage for a lot of things in life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Very few people wear ear plugs at concerts and the few I've been at this year, standing, sometimes near the stage, have been incredibly loud.

Certainly for the bigger venues and for such expensive concert tickets people need to be educated and provided with optional ear plugs that cut down the dangerous sound levels and allow the music through. Ideally reusable so there is not so much waste.

I'm surprised there are no court cases in relation to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

My tinnitus is raging atm …. My left ear is swollen behind the ear lobe! It gets sore when I chew so I have had to take my in ear hearing aid out on that side!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I have very severe tinitus in my right ear past 4 years.

I went to 4 ents three private ad one public and all a total waste of time and money.

No cure nothing sinister causing mine I was told.

Nw wear a hearing aid and it plays masking sounds. I'm heavily reliant on that but my wife keeps complaining of hearing the masking sounds.

I'm a 54 year old male and type 2 diabetic fo same period as the tinnitus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gloria10

Guys, I know what you are going through because I've found myself in similar situations many times too. After battling with tinnitus for a long time, I found relief through visiting ear wax removal doctor and a combination of lifestyle changes, stress management, and sound therapy. Fingers crossed for some good vibes in your situation too!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

I'm not sure if it will help anyone else but I have recurring middle ear infections that cause both the high pitched and the pulsatile type.

I'm told I've a blocked Eustachian tube on that side, and I'm on immunosuppressants that leave you prone to infections.

Only thing that has resolved it for me is grommet surgery X2

I'm waiting for another surgery atm.

I have read about Eustachian tube dilation procedure but not sure if it's available in Ireland - will be discussing with consultant next visit - I might use the Cross Border Directive if it would be a longer term fix and I can find available in EU..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Surprised no one has mentioned the Lenire device?

Apparently some have experienced dramatic success with it, though it's quite expensive.

There's all sorts of theories as to what causes it or rather, why some are at higher risk of getting it.

Hypertensile disposition...... which would make sense as by nature it's like a hypertensile illness.

A number of emergent cases following the covid vaccine? (as well as SSNHL)

I was reading one of the facebook pages on that and one sufferer experienced 100 + db tinnitus (like jet engine, motor bike engine in your ear) since.

I can't imagine having to tolerate that.

There's a video from an ENT that insinuates a lifestyle with increased dopamine activity acts to "de-hypertensile" oneself and can reduce tinnitus.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gloria10

I've found myself in similar situations many times too. I tried many things to cope with tinnitus, ear pain and sometimes even with hearing lost, but visiting ear wax removal doctor twice a year makes my situation a little better in general.  Also I tried therapies such as sound therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy, I found relief through meditation and professional ear cleaning. It has positively impacted my overall health, potentially influencing the symptoms of ear noise, so highly recommend, guys!

Post edited by Gloria10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

It has positively impacted my overall health, potentially influencing the symptoms of ear noise, so highly recommend, guys!

Just to clarify, you're saying trying to treat your tinnitus has ended up improving your overall quality of life?

Interesting if so.

In physics we trust....

Advertisement