Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weathering or ageing your airsofts?

Options
  • 28-07-2023 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hello,

Although I am not an airsoft player, I do enjoy plinking at targets in the garden, I also (most of the time) use my guns as part of militaria displays and 'wallhangers'.

The quality of the airsoft versions far beats, a Denix copy, for example. I do, however want them to look used and worn, so I have aged a few of them myself. Yes, I am aware that this will seriously de-value the gun, but as I have no intention of selling, it does not bother me. It took a fair bit of practice to achieve the look I wanted (as natural wear, not all sandpapered to hell), but I am happy with mine now.

I am just interested to know if anyone else does this or what are your thoughts?

-Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

With metal guns it's easier because you can just emery the edges off the paint. Focus on where the touch and impact points are and it'll look reall enough. Plastic doesn't really look as well weather. Metal guns made of polymer will need some careful painting and drybrushing to give them a metal look - and you'll need to varnish and seal it in, otherwise it'll wear off.

Don't overdo it or you get something like this that would put Mad Max to shame. (Half the switches snapped due to Zinc pest anyway) :

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's not my cup of tea to do ,I do love the look of aged gun , even a modem M4 can look really good if the ageing and ware are done properly, there a chap on Instagram JW rifleworks he does some fantastic jobs on WW2 era guns and kit , you might find something similar in the photos threads on here

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

This is my E&L AKM, weathered and rusted a bit. I am quite happy with it, IMO it looks far better than it did brand new, but that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NennoB

Looks very nice! Did you go for the 'coke in the bathtub' approach and then sanding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thanks,

No, there was no 'coke bath' or sanding, just used one of those green kitchen scrubs. They are not as abrasive as sand paper or such. Lots of patient rubbing and a light spraying of saltwater to increase the rusty look as well as various knocks and bashes. The furniture was stripped, then aged and oiled with linseed oil, plus even more scrubbing.

Advertisement