Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a radiator

Options
  • 28-07-2023 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I need to change an old rad to a new type one but the new one will need to come out to the center of the port at 2.5 inches on the tape. So just a little over half an inch more.

What's the best way to do this to bring out the pipes without kinking them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's usually enough give in the pipes to just connect them without any modifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Not with copper wouldn't do that. Not much give in copper. I had a similar problem and I cut the copper at the base then used the flexy pipe

hose. There then enough give in that . But I would use coper fixings and not the quick snap type.

For a difference of 1/2 an inch over a 6 inch length? I've had no problems doing similar when swapping radiators in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Mr321

Probably the right think would cut the pipe lower down and put in a bend to take it out more etc but I'll give it a go in the coming days to see if there's any give. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you had a pipe spring you would be able to put a bend on the pipe. Is that an option?

• Advertisement

It could be an option. Don't think there to expensive to buy.

No, about 15 or so, but for the security in what you're doing, worth it in this case I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You'll need 2 bends if you don't want the taps to be at a funny angle :)

It looks a bit like that floorboard comes up, have you tried?

Yea I know what you mean with the bends.

No that's tiles.

How visible is the radiator/pipe?

You could use 2 "opposite" 45* couplers with a short section in between or just use a flexible pipe, you can get copper coloured ones now if that helps.

• Advertisement

That pipe is about 5 inches high. And will be fully visual the whole time

Yea it's another option. Might be ugly looking though?

If you use large push fit connectors it might look a bit suspect, if you use soldered then its less bulky.

Then again paint it all white and in a month you wont notice it.

If its an upstairs rad and you are concerned about how it looks you could adjust the pipes from below, but the reality is that you have a hole in a specific place in your tiles and to make it look neat you need that hole somewhere else, unless you are happy to bend the pipe and fit the valves out of plumb. (if you do take this approach then fitting the values horizontally instead of vertically can make this less obvious)

No it's downstairs. I'll probably mount up the new one and see what I'm dealing with first then decide.

Nothing is ever straightforward in this house!

Might be worth just doing it with 90's and then box it in and paint to blend in?

Then open the rad-valve a tiny bit more to make-up for the slightly lower flow rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saw this on Facebook, remembered this thread and couldn't resist, sorry!😂

Hahaha brilliant. 👏👏👏

Surely that has to have been a deliberate piss-take?!

Advertisement