Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Electrics in Shed Using Existing Duct Pipe

Options
  • 27-07-2023 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I have a question about installing electrics in my shed.

Currently, I have a 2-inch duct pipe running from my house to the shed, approximately 11 meters in length. The duct pipe is currently used for housing a satellite dish cable. I am wondering if it's possible to utilize the existing duct pipe by adding flexible conduit with a mains cable to supply electricity to the shed. Or, would I need a separate duct pipe specifically for the mains connection?

Any insights or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I think it's not allowed

Do the wiring rules on telecommunications cables include satellite ?

They'd all be the same type cabling anyhow , afaik they can't go in same pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 29 peannoir

Hello folks.

Jumping on this with a slightly connected query on behalf of a mate.

They have a new build that was fully wired and signed off on about 8 or 9 years ago, maybe a bit less.

Unfortunately due to a few things mainly financial, they did not go ahead with the actual connection to the ESB.

They are looking to do that now but looks like they will need a new cert and have heard that there are now new regulations regarding the wiring and so it looks like they might need to rewire the whole thing again. Does anyone know if this is the case? That would be an absolute disaster and seems ridiculous if its the case...eek.

And a question for myself. I am looking to have a connection put on an large garage. I assume I need to get a cert for that as well?

Cheers. PO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Cables now must be to a minimum standard of Dca, -s2, d2, a2 - i.e. LS0H in a nutshell. PVC cables can't be used. There was a transition period when the 5th Edition came in for certification of 4th Edition installations - however from 1st August 2022 all installations had to be certified to the 5th Edition so he/she has missed the boat there by more than a year.

Advertisement