Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garden Shed Advice

Options
  • 27-07-2023 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, looking for advice, previous experience etc. in relation to a new garden shed.

Looking for an 8ft (L) x 6ft (W) shed, happy with the shed size requirements in relation to the garden size. Can't decide between wooden and steel.

Possible reason for choosing wooden is that we plan to live where we are (housing estate) for around 5 years, then look to build on a piece of family land in 5/6 years and the cost of a good solid wooden shed would be around half or even less than half the price of the steel shed. Also, we are possibly unlikely to dismantle steel shed in 5+ years to look to assemble again - will need someone to do that and was told it would cost us around €600 to get someone to do that. Also, may want a bigger shed in 5/6 years as will have a bigger garden and more requirement for space.

Went & looked at steel sheds from Clane Steel Garden Sheds and the quality I must say is excellent, cost is around €2,090 for the 8ft x 6ft. Steel bottom/frame on the shed and a wooden floor. They put the shed on blocks, so no need for concrete etc.

Looked at a few different options for wooden sheds mainly online, seen a couple in person in some of the mainstream garden stores and the quality don't look great there, but I am sure there are some good providers of wooden sheds elsewhere even if they cost a bit more.

Any thoughts or opinions based on previous similar experiences? Anybody have good experience with particular providers of wooden sheds? (Leinster based here)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,181 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are south Leinster you might consider Trihy's sawmills on the N25 beyond Dungarvan. I have just bought a 6 x 8 from them and its sound and well made - I had a bigger shed which was still dry and sound when I left the last house, it had been there for about 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Inforapenny

Thank you, I will have a look there at what they have.

Was there a particular type of wood, roof etc. you would recommend?

Out of interest, did you look at steel sheds as an option or were you happy to stick with wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,181 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a large Adman steel shed/garage and it is excellent, but I just wanted a garden shed. I have seen some of the cheaper steel sheds and they are very fragile - a relative had one and it literally blew down, but even while it was new it was like walking into a tin can. If you want a steel shed buy a quality one, Adman or similar, the thin ones are the same as the fragile wooden sheds, they will not last.

Edit - go for a torchon or metal roof, not just the felt.

Post edited by looksee on

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ClmAlfie

I'm looking at garden shed too, to be used for teenage den/guest room. Roughly size 10ft by 10ft. Would have to be insulted. Which should I go for, steel or timber? And any other suggestions please

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Agree with above reply if going wit a felt roof get touch on- less susceptible to storms etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement