If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Importing a secondhand tractor from the UK.

  • 27-07-2023 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

    Hi all, looking at secondhand tractor in the UK, was wondering what costs are involved, as in vat and import taxes. I know this has been asked before but would specifically like to some one that has been through the process already ? No matter who i seem to talk to, everyone has a different answer as regards vat to be paid on the UK side and this side and the new import levies to be payed since brexit.

    Thanks in advance. Homer.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

    If you are not vat registered you pay the vat in England and you have to import vat here I think it's 21 also need a customs clearance agent and a phyto sanitary cert which would come to around 1 k between them roughly.if the tractor is bought in northern Ireland it is just subject to vrt provided it was in the north before brexit January will have to prove this.beware of tractor s registered in the north but imported from the UK post brexit as they are subject to import tax.i don't know what the story with vat registered and people with a eori number.that is my understanding of it but open to correction

  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

    Thanks KG, i am not vat registered, so I would need to pay the 20% vat in the UK and then pay the 21 or 23% vat here. Other than the customs clearance agent and a phyto sanitary cert and €200 vrt are there no other charges ? Did you import a tractor yourself since brexit ?

  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

    No once you pay UK VAT that clears your VAT liability. A good transport agent will handle the paperwork for you. Bring it through NI if you can. You'll just need to VRT it when the tractor arrives. Keep all receipts. I brough a loader last year in the UK. Cost of transport to my door was €950.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

    As of last Thursday when I was registering a ni tractor I was told an English tractor is subject to vat even though vat is paid in England.ring a custom s agent to check ,it was them advised me and it was confirmed by vrt inspector

  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

    Better to double check so. I'd no issue importing an English reg machine & just paid 20% VAT before it was shipped to NI. You don't have to vrt the tractor. I've two UK registered machines and just insured them but if selling on an Irish reg would be worth more.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

    If driving on the road they would have to be vrt'd same as any other road going vehicle

  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

    Thanks for the replies but this is where the problem lies, no matter how many I chat to about importing a tractor from the UK, I get as many different opinions on what needs to be paid. I know bringing down a northern reg tractor or an English reg tractor that was brought into the North before brexit is straight forward enough to clear but has anyone on here brought in a tractor from the UK and went through the full process of getting it cleared, from getting the phyto sanitary cert to driving down the road with an Irish plate.