Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall light in landing. Can I replace bulb?

Options
  • 26-07-2023 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

I have this light in my landing and after 10 years it's died. I took cover off expecting to see a bulb but I found this!!

Can this be replaced or do I need a whole new unit with electrician to install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's a whole unit replacement I'm afraid.

I haven't ever seen a square one like it though, you might need to get the brand and do a bit of searching for a suitable size replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

The flush light fitting, not always such a great idea

Maybe a surface light fitting to cover the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

I presume this is a job for an electrician - right?

No, you can do it if you feel that it's within your skill-set to complete it safely and you can isolate the light correctly. Very DIY-able!

This was behind one of the lights (there are 2). What do I do here?

The new fitting just has a blue and brown wire and it's driver is built into the new fitting.

• Advertisement

That's a constant current LED driver (power supply). It's unusual to find them like that, they are normally integrated into the light fitting.

Can you tell where the blue and brown wire on the "SEC" side goes to? Do you have more than one of those lights in the wall? Is it also faulty?

The other landing light has only a single blue and brown which I connected first, but it didn't work for me. I'm wondering if I'm doing something silly?

Just hold on there. It looks like you have DC going over the mains cable. Hence my first questions.

Just to be clear: the mains cable with the earth connected into a screw-connector block is the incoming AC mains. The other mains cable which had the earth snipped off is an interconnecting DC to supply the other light fitting.

To get both new lights working you're going to have to wire up that mains cable to supply both new fixtures with AC power. I'm not sure if that's within your normal comfort zone? So if not I'd suggest that you contact an electrician to complete the job safely as the earth needs to be wired up.

Could it have been just the driver faulty then ?

As 101020 said the wiring has to be changed slightly to loop the AC and earth across and 2 suitable joints used for new lights

What type lights did you get .Did you get something surface to cover the hole in the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Can you post a picture of the second light?

It looks like whoever wired it originally has joined both of the secondaries together so the 2 lights are effectively using the same driver which is why it may have failed.

If that's the case then you need to join both of the neutrals from the first light in a connector with the neutral of the new light and do the same with the lives. Then you need to remove the brown and blue from the secondary of the second light and connect them to the primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Maybe get an electrician. I understand how it works but you probably don't and you may feed high voltage AC to something that should have low voltage or low voltage to the new light. If you want to continue to get free support at least put up clear photos of every light, every connection and all info on new light including instructions etc.

It's hard to give advice without full info.

There is a high risk of electrocution or blowing the new light.

Dunno is there much more to be said

If the poster is competent to proceed he won't need further advice imo

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Something ye haven't thought of....

The blue and brown on the new light may not be for 240V AC

I have (chinese) 12v cupboard spot lights that came with blue/brown wires on them. They had a little rectifier in line as they can also be used with a 12v AC driver. These are not my lights but something similar that I found with a quick search - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002633359552.html

I would not necessarily advise OP to connect the blue and brown to the mains feed as the light may be low voltage regardless of the wire colours. Look how skinny the core is on the cable in the picture

OP can you share a link or photo of the replacement light?

Cancel

I don't think you're making any valid point there

The wiring seems clear from the pictures

Not everything is as it seems...

I've just had a look in my kitchen and taken this photo

spurred off an LED strip

It is 24v btw, not 12v

Do you reckon i should be able to connect the blue and brown to a plug or straight off the lighting circuit?

I'm aware but OP having something similar is not outside the bounds of possibility.

I felt it prudent to mention it on the off chance I was right and it prevented him from connecting mains electricity to a 12v led

Could it have been just the driver faulty then ?

Given that the second light, connected to the same driver, is working fine then I would be inclined to say the driver is fine

• Advertisement

Advertisement