Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nenagh to birmingham

Options
  • 26-07-2023 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭

hello people,can anyone help/advise please...my mam is very ill in uk,and not expected to recover,i live in nenagh/tipperary.i will need to go over there within the next 2 weeks,i will have to go by bus/ ferrie,but dont know how,as i have not done that before,can anyone tell me what to do?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So sorry about your Mam.

Rome2Rio gives these options, obviously exclude the ones with flights https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Nenagh/Birmingham-England

Apologies, if I put it in as a clickable link it disappears

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bus Nenagh to Dublin then go to Busaras to get a bus to Dublin Port. Book ferry crossing with Stena or Irish Ferries to Holyhead.

Then get train from Holyhead to Birmingham.

Safe journey.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Booking the train with the ferry crossing included (Sail Rail) is likely to be (a lot) cheaper than booking the ferry and the train seperate

You could even get Nenagh to Dublin included on that, but you will need to get a taxi or two buses to the ferry terminal from Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks for replies........was looking at the expressway site and seen this.....Expressway Eurolines have added additional services from Dublin and London.

From Dublin – Thursday/Saturday 

From London – Friday/Sunday

Now operating Thursdays, and Saturdays to the UK from Busáras, Dublin. Returning from the Victoria Coach Station, London to Dublin on Fridays and Sundays. Also serving Dublin Ferryport and Digbeth Coach Station, Birmingham.......does this mean that i can only go on thursdays and saterdays,and return on fridays and sundays? im confused

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes that's right.

Go Thurs and Sat

Return Fri and Sun

As you are arriving in Birmingham at 4.20am will you be able to get to where you are staying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah it's the same bus. Goes over Thursday and back Friday. Repeat again for Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Could you fly?

Train to Heuston. Aircoach from there to airport and fly to Birmingham.

Looks like the easiest and most time effective route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks for replies everyone,to answer a few points,i have a place to stay,im being met by a cousin,and i have no passport to fly,and fear planes a bit,its looking likely the above way would be ok,leave on a Saturday and come back week later,,thanks again

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

If you travel by air with Aer Lingus (and Aer Lingus only) to Birmingham you don't necessarily need a passport. Acceptable forms of ID outlined below.

https://www.aerlingus.com/prepare/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

I'm not sure how deep your fear of flying is. Flight time from Dublin to Birmingham is only 40 minutes and would quicker and more comfortable than the bus/ferry. Might be something to consider given what you're facing into. All the best with it.

Advertisement