Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wheelset for upgrade?

Options
  • 26-07-2023 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I'm currently on Giant SLR1 Carbon wheels (rims, hubs & spokes) 700c on a carbon endurance/race roadbike. I'm looking to upgrade. Are SLR-2 better, or what would be a significant upgrade, that will also look good? I don't want very deep rimmed hubs that the wind will catch. I like the look of DT Swiss, don't like the look of Zipp! Also, I use tubes. Dont like tubeless, so must be compatible. Any feedback would be great

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What are you trying to achieve with an upgrade? Lighter, wider, more aero, more durable?

Giant SLR1 are considered a level higher than SLR2 - they are a very decent wheelset.

You'd need to be spending a pretty high amount to get something that will be a notable step up. Maybe something like a DT Swiss ERC 1400 but you are looking at 1300€+ for looking a bit cooler but very little performance difference.

(I'm speaking as someone who swapped my SLR1s for a set of Zipp 303s for absolutely no reason at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Thx, looking for more speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Re SLR1’s - you were happy with these? Found them to be a reasonable set?

Im after laying hands on a Trek Emonda and now need (or want) a half decent set of wheels for it. You’d recommend these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Whats the budget? I recently got a set of Lun hypers, had set of bora 50's and a set of slr1 rim brake before them. I find them very very good. I got a set that's 45mm on the front and 55mm on the back, mainly cos I was worried about the front wheel in the wind too, I'm around 64kg and this has been issue with other wheels in the past. No issues at all with that, used them all through the recent windy weather and never had a problem.

Bought them from this Irish site (I have nothing to do with the site!), they offer a 10% off code for new users I think and delivery was very quick and no customs. https://www.getmoreaero.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd call them good to ok - if you get them on a bike, the majority of people wouldn't need to upgrade. Depends on the price really

If you are buying as an upgrade, I think you can find good deals from someone who decides to sell them on as unused if they got them with a bike, but I would say there are better options at their rrp (which is 13-1400 iirc) or even the price you can find them at new online, but I've seen unused pairs taken off a new bike sell for much lower than that - in which case they become an interesting option. Zipp 303s can be found for just over 800 so for me they are a good entry point for carbon wheels, especially as they have a great warranty.

The older version might be a bit narrow if you want to use 28-32mm tires, the newer version only takes tubeless tires (although you can run a tube with a tubeless compatible tire)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What model did you get Joey? Rim braked ones is it? What's the rim width on em ? And does an Irish site mean an Irish warranty/return/repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey Fat Bloke, the D45 disc brake, light wheels though for disc wheels, around 1450grams, good weight for deep wheels. Internal width of 21mm and external of 27.6, currently have 25mm on it, only cos it's what I had around but will replace with 28mm.

They say they come with 2 year warranty. My guess is the Irish shop is more a distribution centre linked to the European one, my wheels came from Germany. So I'd say any warranty will end up going through Irish site to the European centre.

Advertisement