Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Camera Set Suggestions

Options
  • 26-07-2023 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I'd like a decent set of 4 outdoor security cameras to keep watch around my house. I'm interested in Hikvision but having the hardest time finding a set!

Can someone point me to some online retailers that can help me? I need:

+ 4 cameras: turret style, white, 5Mp+, 2.8mm lense with a function where car headlights and other lights don't blind it at night (IR?).

+ DVR device, maybe 2TB is enough?

+ PoE connection. Ethernet cables are ready.

Or can I piece a set together myself using Amazon?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Not the cheapest, but I'm really happy with my Ubiquiti cameras. There's a good range of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Lovely website and products. Is there a particular set you'd recommend? The way the cables are set up the cameras will hang down from a roof overhang.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I went with Anpviz cameras as they are Hikvision clones and support all of the required protocols (ONVIF, etc), etc. Other than being a bit gooey in the interface, they have been fine for 3 years now and they record onto a Shinobi CCTV server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I have the cloudkey NVR - only 1Tb, but it's holding 11 days of footage for me (with 4 cameras)

The only outside camera I have is the G5 Bullet, and I think the quality is great. Have a G3 Flex inside (can also be used outside), but if I'd bought it for outside I'd have gone with the G5 Flex - for the event detections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Have a look at the Reolink sets such as the below, availability a bit of an issue it seems but should be a decent selection.

I got a set about 5 years ago, 2TB 8 channel NVR, 2 dome 5MP and 2 turret 5MP cameras and it's been rock solid with no issues. Nice enough app for the mobile to view live or back dated footage when away from home. 5MP was the highest quality at the time but they've since gone up to 12MP with added features such a car/person recognition. I've the sensitivity on mine set a little too high so changes in light such as the rare occasions when the sun appears can activate as action shots. The dome cameras are a lot more discrete and don't harbor as such spider nests so if going again I'd get all dome cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

*delete

Post edited by Bluefoam on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I am moving from Google cameras to Ubiquti Unify Protect cameras, I've two so far as a test. Yes, it's an investment and it's more for those who prefer technical setups. However, these are far superior cameras and software. Plus the speed of accessing the footage is incredible.

Google pushed an update over the summer which destryoed the quality of the night time footage - so that has been my motivation to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adeolaad

Creating a custom security camera setup from Amazon is definitely an option if you want to handpick each component.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Badyback

Thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

another vote for Ubiquity, i have a UDM Pro which acts as my NVR also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement