Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build for around 2600e - RTX 4090?

Options
  • 24-07-2023 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey all,

I am hoping you could help me with a PC build. I just sold a prebuilt that I had and am ready to build my own from scratch. My budget is up to 2600e, but I wouldn't mind keeping it a little lower.

My monitor is a 3440 x 1440 ultrawide, and I also have a secondary 2560 x 1440. I would mainly play single player AAA's, like Cyberpunk 2077 and (will play) Starfield. Don't really care for RT.

I've also got a Valve Index, so I am kind of stumped on how to proceed. An RTX 4090 is a lot of money, though I seen that it could technically be done within my budget. The 4080 just feels like bad value. I would much prefer an all AMD build, but since I also want to play VR - this puts me in a tough spot. RX 7000 series GPU's have had performance issues since launch, where they even get dusted by 6000 series GPU's. Apparently, new drivers have (somewhat) resolved this, but I'm still waiting on more information. I do not wish to get a downgrade in VR from my previous GPU (6800 XT)

Could someone provide a few templates on PCPartPicker or even part suggestions to get me started? Been looking up PC builds all day, and I have a few cases in mind. The styles I like would be something like Deepcool CH370 (I know, mATX), Hyte Y40 or NZXT H5 Flow for starters. I also think the Deepcool LT720 AIO looks really cool and would like one. My build would ideally be a white/black colorway (or all black with those fans which have RGB around them and not on the fins if that makes sense).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I cant see how a 4090 build is in your budget at 2600

The cheapest 4090 is around €1800. That just leaves 800 for a case, CPU, board, Ram, PSU, fans and drives.

There is no point in buying the best GPU on the market without buying the supporting hardware such as a good CPU, a good board and good memory.

You will also need a 1000w PSU, like they're €200 off the bat.

A 7950X cpu is the guts of €600. You could go older and get a 5950X but you're not gonna save much and now you're locked into AM4 socket. (the older intel i5,7 series cpus are rubbish compared to the AMD stuff and I wouldn't spend a penny on it)

Memory is gone very dear recently, expect to pay €250 for 2*16GB 4000Mhz memory

1TB NVME M2 with PCIe 4.0 is gonna cost roughly €100

X670E board will be around 350 (500 if you wanna go balls out)

So 100 + 250 + 350 + 600 + 200 + 1800 = 3,300

And you may add another 200 on to that for case and fans.

Cheapest Components I could find

7600X is "okish"

The NZXT cases havent been great up until last year the H7 is good I dont know about the H5

You need a case with excellent ventilation if you're gonna be running a 4090.

Post edited by Beta Ray Bill on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lord Bored

Thanks for your response, but you're looking up Irish prices. Everything can be had for significantly cheaper shipped from Germany. I know that not all websites ship to us, but some like Amazon Germany, computeruniverse, etc do and they are not that far off from mindfactory in prices most of the time.

Here's a near identical build to what you offered at around 2600-2700e that I put together in a couple of minutes. Probably the price can be brought down with some additional research: (the german PCPartPicker, I can't post link due to account age) list/YDxMfv

I see no reason to go for a X670E board over a B650.. I won't overclock and I don't see it providing me with any additional features that I want. Also, why would I ever get a 7950X for that 600e you mentioned, when I can just get a 7800X3D for around 450e..

4090 at 1649e, better models can be had for like 30-50e extra as opposed to 1800e you mentioned.

PSU about 150e as opposed to 200e you mentioned.

32GB of DDR5 @ 6000 CL36 at 120e as opposed to the €250 for 2*16GB 4000Mhz memory you mentioned.

And so on..

gputracker (eu) is a good website to shop around on for parts filtered by shipping to Ireland. I mostly just need advice on what parts to look at and why. From what I seen discussed, something like a 7600 or 7600x is absolutely fine with a 4090. A 4080 build would also be fine. While the prices are an absolute scam, it is what it is and I don't want to buy a last gen GPU and then have to upgrade sooner, losing money in the process of selling it 2nd hand and then investing in a newer GPU anyway once RX 8000 and RTX 5000 series launch.

If there were no performance issues with VR I'd already be ordering a 7900XT or 7900XTX.

Do not get a B650

It does not support PCIe 5.0, I think the B650E might support 5.0

The B650 limits expansion.

7800X3D is a good chip lots of people Seem to be using it cause of the L3 Cache.

I use Jacob.de or caseking.de to buy my gear and I cannot find a 4090 for less than €1,800 (what websites are you using?)

Careful with what RAM you are buying, compare it on https://www.memorybenchmark.net/ If you're gaming then you want the fastest RAM, if you're running VM's and what not you want the most RAM with less importance on speed (I made this mistake) Usually big sticks of ram have a lower clock than small sticks for the same price.

CL is the latency and the MT is the speed, You want CL 30 ideally

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCIe 5.0 is meaningless.

Even the mighty RTX 4090 doesn't suffer on PCIe 3.0 x16, and unless you're dealing with gargantuan data sets or video files, you wouldn't notice the difference between SATA SSD and NVMe PCIe 4.0 drives.

7800X3D (and 5800X3D) don't need fast RAM. Their giant L3 cache has lower latency than RAM and thus negates the need to spend more here. Less than 2% difference between DDR5-5200 CL40 and DDR5-6000 CL40. That said, G.Skill Ripjaws S5 (DDR5-6000 CL30, 2x16Gb) are available for €120 now (compared to €90-ish for cheap DDR5-5200 CL40) so I guess you might as well buy them.

PCIe 5.0 is meaningless.

How dare you!!!! 🤣

5.0 means faster I/O times on 5.0 NVMe drives though! Also there is a 4060 out now with a slot on it for M2 NVMe

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-shows-off-rtx-4060-ti-graphics-card-with-m-2-ssd-slot

Re: the 4.0 Gamernexus tested it and there is a bit of a difference between 3.0 and 4.0.

• Advertisement

You can use gputracker.eu and see best prices from websites that deliver to ireland.

There's also geizhals.eu (though, they are no longer in English and the best prices are usually from mindfactory who do not deliver here)

I saw an open box or B-Ware 4090 yesterday for €1519 on jacob.de, but I hesitated.. I don't know if full manufacturer warranty is still offered and they only said "box is damaged, but product is fine", whereas computeruniverse state that you get the warranty, etc under their B-Ware GPU's

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Just to beware that prices from comparison sites are often 5-10% under reality, due to higher Irish VAT, and shipping costs. The best new 4090 price I could find right now was about €1700 delivered from CaseKing.de.

I ended up building with a 4070. Had a 4080 ordered, but ended up cancelling. I just can't stomach the prices of this gen, the 4070 is the cheapest card that is still somewhat reasonable to buy. While the wimpy 12GB of VRAM is a shame, I'm planning to get rid of it when the next gen comes around. Something like a 5070 Ti should give 4090 levels of performance, so I have no problem waiting for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Solved: 7900xtx Low Performance in SteamVR and VR in gene... - Page 25 - AMD Community

I just figured I would add this as AMD recently fixed the VR performance issues mentioned here so it may be a viable option for you. I'm running a 7900xtx and have only had one issue so far, it didn't support gsync monitors with one driver. An update fixed this, otherwise its been butter smooth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement