Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guttering

Options
  • 24-07-2023 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello all.

My wife and I renovated a house, but we kept the existing guttering system as it was only installed in 2013. We're a bit tight on cash because of a septic tank replacement, so I'm wondering to stop water spouting out of the clips and unions, would it be best I replace all the clips and unions as I feel if I replace one then another will go eventually.

Do I need to do any prep work, like clean seals on gutters, spray them with something, use silicone somewhere and so on?

I really do no see how a full uPVC replacement is needed as the leaks reside only with the clips and unions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mike_2009

When it's dry (!) try a roof and gutter sealant on the joints / ends - it's flexible and should stop the leaks and allow you to continue using the gutters for years to come. Maybe install porcupine gutter brushes to reduce moss from the roof collecting in the bottom of the gutter and building up, degrading the sealant and weighing down the gutter brackets / causing sagging. The moss just runs off these and lands on the ground instead. there are gutter covers but these are specific to the brand of gutter. Agree a repair job is best. Be careful on the ladder or hire a scaffolding work platform for a week to make it easier and closely inspect things from a safer position.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah, I'd go cleaning them first and seeing what the problem is at joints. If there only 10 years, should be more than adequate if done properly in first place.

Advertisement