Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player comparison

Options
  • 24-07-2023 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Cillian O Connor/Conor McManus

Met a friend at the weekend, got chatting about football and it got into Monaghan's game against Dublin and Conor McManus's performance.

I made the point that McManus is a great forward but would not put him in the top bracket of forwards in the last 10 years.

I said I would put McManus in a bracket with the likes of Cillian O Connor to which he thought was an outrageous comment. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'd consider McManus on a completely different level to Cillian O'Connor. Would definitely be in your friend's camp in this one. McManus was a great footballer in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I think O'Connor is one of the most unlikeable footballers out there.

He s in the same bracket as McManus definitely.

But for anyone to suggest that's not the top bracket is crazy.

Individually they would both be certain starters on any all Ireland winners during their playing careers and probably the marquee forward on those teams bar Clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

McManus is a better footballer that O Connor, I accept that.

However, the fact that McManus is from a so called weaker county, I think people can get romantic and a little carried away with praise.

For different reasons, I think O Connor over the space of his career deserves as much respect as the like of Mansy. If for instance Mayo had won an AI or two, he would be spoken about it in much more esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

When I say top bracket I'm talking about the likes of Clifford, Murphy, Gooch. I think they were on a different level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

I would agree with you that those two would be in the same bracket as each other, and if your definition of top bracket is all time greats like David Clifford, Peter Canavan etc., I think it's fair to argue they're just outside of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I think Cillian O'Connor must be the most underrated player there ever was.

Top scorer ever in the championship despite being injured for the best part of the last 3 years. I'm not saying the he is at the level of Clifford or Cooper but he was a fine footballer and I don't see how on any metric McManus comes out better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

A forward's job is to score. O'Connor and McManus score heavily. HEAVILY. Both great players.

Advertisement