Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Exchange

Options
  • 22-07-2023 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope this is the correct forum.

Bit in the media lately (Irish Times June) about home exchange as a means to reduce the cost of holidaying.

Has anyone got experience of this? Trying to acsertain which websites are best.

We would be interested in both staycations and coastal towns in Europe.

We are fortunate to live in a pretty coastal village in the west of Ireland so I would hope it would be attractive for whoever we swap with.

My concern is whether or not it's a frustrating process trying to find an exchange that suits both parties.

Would love to hear from those that have been through the process

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I joined Home Exchange but never managed to do an exchange. I found it was a lot of people looking to use their points to stay in my house, rather than an exchange. I'm sure I would have been glad of the points eventually. But at the time it didn't suit. A lot use their second home so it's grand for them - use holiday home to amass points and then travel abroad. A friend of mine uses it every year. It's a lot of work finding a fit, but she makes it work and has stayed in some amazing places. I must have gotten unlucky. Live near a port and an airport so got a lot of messages just saying "not looking to exchange, my brother in law is in your area next Friday night and looking for a spare bed, can he stay?".

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Thanks for that note.

That would be my worry. I can see how with some effort it might work but with two young kids and two full time jobs it might be an ordeal to make work!

Having said that even if we only managed a staycation out of it for a long weekend it would more than cover the cost I guess

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I got an offer to swap with someone in a very beautiful part of Ireland. I just couldn't that time. It would have been worth it if I could have done that. You can do a lot without paying. I didn't pay and was able to contact people and make plans.

Advertisement