Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in chimney wall in the bedroom upstairs.

Options
  • 22-07-2023 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know how to fix this? Second floor the wall covering the chimney in bedroom has a leak.

The flashing on the roof at the chimney is good and has been checked. Checked the attic and cannot find any water to match the stain. We have had a lot of rain the last few weeks so the stain has doubled. Do not know how to fix. Also there is a water stain along the ceiling between two boards. Do have spot lights in the ceiling in the bathroom but have extractor vented out moisture. I have darkened the picture so you can see it more clearly. Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Just throwing an idea out there....at very least it will give someone a giggle.

If tiles and flashings are ok they are the main offenders.

It's a rather odd place for the stain to appear in such a circular way too....so that has me thinking maybe something is caught in the chimney causing a "dam" of sorts . When was the last time the chimney was swept? Could it be possible a nest is in there and collecting rain water in turn the walls absorbing from the nest, especially with the amount of rain we've had.

Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is there a cowl on the chimney?

Any chance of an external photo of the chimney showing the makeup (brick, rendered, cracked...) and some of the flashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Looked up the chimney and could not see anything as the chimney is not straight. There is a turn slightly up the top so will have to wait until the seagulls have moved on. Will get a sweep to clean the chimney.

No cowl. Flashing was replaced last year and tiles and felt checked at that time. Will take a few pictures.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Are there water pipes there anywhere in the attic, that could be leaking?

Do you mean you have seagulls up there somewhere🙈they fancy our chimney too, like to sit up on a ledge along it.If they are nesting up there that might be your problem.

• Advertisement

So flashing was replaced but was the leak there before the flashing was replaced? Not clear from all of the info.

Sorry for being unclear. We get the roof checked every few years. Last year we had seagulls on the roof at the chimney. We noticed a small water stain on the ceiling in the bedroom following the lines of the plasterboards so we got a guy to check. He replaced the flashing around the chimney and he checked if there were any cracks in the chimney stack but nothing was there. Felt was good so no need to replace. The seagulls had nested at the chimney but more to next door than us. Nest was removed.

Now we have had alot of rain and there was a watermark in the bedroom. I looked close and there is a horizontal line and then the was spread out to a circle as you see in the picture. The chimney is not straight up out the roof. The chimney gots up and built diagonal to the left near that water mark (we think). Possibly we do have nesting material in there and it has caused water to build up.

That's ok. I was just looking for clarity as it's always best to have as much information up-front as possible so that we can best understand.

Going along the lines of the possibility of a nest, have you had the chimney swept to see if you dislodge any nesting material anyway? Is the chimney in use or blocked off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I wouldn't be giving a seagull priority.

Get the chimney swept and a kowl put on.

Will get the chimney swept. My roofer (retired)will only go on the roof when the seagulls are gone!! I think he has been attacked before so is very wary. I think he went on the roof before with an umbrella and hard hat and still was attacked!! Will organise a sweep now. Fire place not in use. Gas fire at the bottom and used about 3 times in alot of years. Thinking of putting a stove in but that is for another day.

• Advertisement

Yes. The neighbours a few doors down have 3 large chicks resting in their guttering every day and mummy is on hand if you go anywhere near them!! My neighbour put spikes up so they moved into his guttering instead!!

Last year was the first time we had sea gulls and we are right by the sea. The nest is at the back.

No pipes in the attic. Our water tank is in the shed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Suspect they might be part of your problem alright.Can you get up there for a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I had this. Very hard to solve. We think it was a blocked downpipe in a gutter

Only problem is the fire place is inside the house and not on an outside wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

No chance of leaking pipes in the void between floors?

Advertisement