Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a deceased witness's statement admissible in a criminal case in a common-law jurisdiction?

Options
  • 22-07-2023 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭

I'm aware that, in Northern Ireland - a common-law jurisdiction - a deceased witness's statement in a criminal case is prima facie admissible and that it is for the judge of the trial to decide whether or not to admit the statement as evidence.

But it's not possible to cross-examine the dead. So how could it be legally possible for a judge to admit a dead person's statement into evidence? The idea of it seems inconsistent with the right to a fair trial.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tom traubert

If the deceased person's statement was made in such circumstances that it satisfies the criteria to be a "dying declaration" it is admissable.

As in any trial the Judge will determine the admissibility of any evidence put forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I was on a criminal jury in a case where one of the witnesses had since deceased. The Gardai hadn’t taken a formal statement from this person before they died. This drew criticism from the defence- inferring that such a statement would have been permitted in the case as evidence- so on that basis I’d say yes it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It will always be open to ridicule and scrutiny.

People will say anything under duress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just because the witness is deceased doesn't mean the statement was given under any duress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Hard to prove it wasn't?

If I am going to convict someone of a criminal offense I would prefer to speak to or familiarise myself with the account of any human being utilised to condemn the faith or freedom of another.

" before citizen Mickey MacSpoofer passed away he confessed to An Garda Siochaina that he used to rob doughnuts with the accused in Donaghmede shopping centre. he insisted that was why he was assaulted in the first instance, he had eaten a stolen Boston Creme"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's a bit absurd. A witness statement can be as simple as an uninvolved third party giving testimony of observing an incident. The judge will decide on the validity and appropriateness of the witness statement. The jury, of course, can make their own determination on said evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,117 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yeah. One of the recognised exceptions to the hearsay rule is the admission of a statement from a witness who has died before the matter comes to trial. The statement is not automatically admissible.

It's subject to the same formal requirements as any statement about the circumstances in which it was made, whether inducements were offered, etc.

Plus, there'll be a further question as to whether admitting the statement would be unfair to the defendant, given that the witness cannot be cross-examined. So, a witness statement by an uninvolved bystander to the crime might be one thing; a witness statement by an associate of the deceased who might be seeking to exculpate themselves by shifting blame would be quite another.

Even if the statement is admitted, the jury will be instructed by the judge that they should weigh it carefully, and it will be pointed out to them that the witness cannot be present in court for them to make their own evaluation of his evidence, and that the defendant is unable to cross-examine the witness. And of course the defendant will be able to comment on the statement in any way they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Guilty- the lack of the witness statement was one of the key reasons why the defendant pled not guilty in the first place- I’d argue had this witness been still alive it’s unlikely there would have been a trial as they would likely have plead guilty.

they based their whole defence around what might have/could have happened- I guess if you’re facing a lengthy sentence it’s a long shot worth taking but it just didn’t resonate with the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

I used the phrase "prima facie admissible" because it was said in a court judgement in Northern Ireland. Obviously, the admitting of evidence by the trial judge is separate from that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement