Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Mantle Piece

Options
  • 21-07-2023 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

I have an Oak tree trunk seasoning in a shed which I hope to cut for a mantle piece. Which part of it should I use. As in do I use the middle of it or should I use a piece that is to one side of the centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

you should get the trunk cut to roughly the size you need avoiding the centre pith and then leave it to dry as it takes about one year for every one inch of timber to air dry

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Mach Two

One year per inch. That is a long time. It is dead for a number of years. Would that help to speed the process up a bit? If I got it kiln dried how much would it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Even though it has been dead a few years you will still need to air dry it after it's sawn, otherwise it will case harden in the kiln and not dry evenly, you will end up with expensive firewood

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Very good. Would that 1" be on all surfaces ( as in a piece of timber that is 4" thick so if the piece is exposed on all surfaces, 2 years would be sufficient to season it. Rather than 4 yrs.

Advertisement