Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noise During Steering Lock

Options
  • 21-07-2023 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

How loud should the steering be on a VW ID4?

I'm asking for a friend, so I don't have a recording.

They are noticing as they turn the wheel, they get a loud noise as if you were rubbing your hand along polyester fabric, or smiler to a zip closing or opening whenever the steering wheel is moved.

Those examples are just to confirm that the noise is not a suspension knock, and the car can be standing still which I would assume rules out a CV joint.

I remember a 2016 Mercedes and 2018 VW Passat both making similar noises, especially when turning the wheel quickly but I've been in this ID4 and it's quite pronounced.

I'm leaning on the side of "that's just how they work", but I was curious to other peoples experience.

It's a 2022 but the owner is not sure how to go about a warranty check if something is not actually wrong with the car.

My experience of warranty repairs has been when there is something obviously wrong or broken.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭User1998

I don’t know is it just an electric car thing, because when I went full lock in both my GTE’s it was extremely loud. I think I remember my mates hybrid Mercedes being the same.

I just put it down to the noise being more prominent because of a lack of engine noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They could always go test drive another at a garage for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Hardly something simple like the carpet or a floor mat rubbing against the steering column?

Advertisement