Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass between beech hedge plants

Options
  • 21-07-2023 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello

I'm a much better gardening than I was when I planted my beech hedge over 1.5 years ago. As a rookie, I did not place down weed membrane, so every few weeks I have to get down and dirty and clip grass and pull weeds. Can I add membrane at this stage or some sort of light plastic at this stage? I'd have a 100 plants over a 20 metre distance to cover!

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just dump 3 inches of bark/mulch on top and you should be ok.

You will need to spray/pull a few as they come through but it should limit any new stuff.

You could add membrane between them, but I presume you are going to want to put something on top so you can save the effort and just mulch directly onto the ground. Weeds only seed themselves in the top few inches of soil so unless you are planning on redoing the mulch and membrane every few years you might as well just keep mulching.

I put 2-3 inches of bark between my beech hedge and bar the odd super dandelion its kept it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MossyTracks

Thanks, GreeBo. I've been tossing my grass clippings down as mulch, but the clippings break down so quickly. The weeds have an appetite!

So, you do not place any membrane down? Just bark?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

membrane is a curse. you just get leaves rotting down on it and things rooting in that and rooting through the membrane.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MossyTracks

Yeah, I planted membrane in many other places and the weeds still sprout up on it!

Any weedkiller recommendations that sort the problem and does not destroy my nice plants?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never used weedkiller so i don't have any there; where my hedge is, i don't have the problem with grass.

• Advertisement

No membrane, its a PITA when stuff seeds on top and grows through it.

Just keep pulling the stuff that pokes through the mulch and it will give up eventually. You could use a gel weedkiller that you apply directly to the leaves to avoid killing the hedge if desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Agreeing with all above! Bark as mulch is the winner. You can get one-tonne bags delivered of the stuff, or otherwise make your own using a branch-chipper.

On this one, I highly recommend the chipper that LIDL/Parkside chipper.

I've had one for 3 years now and its fantastic if you have a garden that requires constant pruning. Turns M3 of crap into small piles that are perfect for adding to compost or using as mulch.

Advertisement