Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations Please

Options
  • 21-07-2023 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi folks, would appreciate some advice.

I’m looking for a bike with for 2 different purposes.

1: A bike to cycle to work every morning, approximately 12km. Don’t have access to shower so will probably need to be electric. As I am dressed for work, will also need mudguards and a carrier of some kind for books/laptop/lunch etc. I don’t mind sweating up on the way home.

2: A bike that I can take on longer cycles for exercise in evenings/weekends

I haven’t cycled much in last 10 years but before that always had a “hybrid” type bike

Would prefer “straight” handlebars and a comfortable saddle.

I want to buy from a shop and not online (I live in Malahide if anyone has a bike shop recommendation?)

I will be using the Bike to Work scheme.

Max budget €2.5k

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

right on your limit, but my wife has one of these and loves it. meets requirements for mudguards and carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would strongly consider two bikes in that situation. Something like the one linked for going to work. Maybe a second hand road bike for the evening and weekends. I don't ever see an electric bike with mudguards, rack etc ever being able to do the job of a weekend exercise bike too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If your daily commute is a 24km round trip I'd think seriously about evening and weekend trips, at least until you're bike fit and then also having cognisance of available time and shorter daylight periods.

A 12km round trip may be a bit easier to accommodate in your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

Op. Jimmy's in Portmarnock or Richie's in Swords would be my recommendation for local bike shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dinjo99

Update:

Called to Richie’s in Swords. Really like the Cube bikes.

Currently filling in the Bike to Work form

May be able to stretch the budget a bit. Going to choose between the 500 hybrid (approx €2,600) and the 625 hybrid pro (approx €3,100). Any opinions?

Regarding exercise, Richie reckons that at the lowest power assist, you get a good workout. He also reckons you can also cycle with the power turned off/if the battery runs out? How much harder than a regular bike would this be?

Thanks for the advice so far, can’t wait to get going!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

try cycling the cube at 26km/h!

happened me a few times when borrowing my wife's bike. you'll get a much better workout than cycling an acoustic bike at the same speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Main difference in those is the battery size (and 11-speed Vs 9-speed). The dealer will be able to give you a better indication of range but I would say 500wh would be enough.

You do get some exercise from using an ebike at the lower assist levels, but it isn't going to be enjoyable in terms of going out for a ride purely to exercise.

If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the cheaper option and use my 500€ saved as a starting point for a second hand road bike.

Just an update folks:

Following the advice here I bought my bike from Richie's in Swords.

I blew my original budget and bought the Cube Touring Hybrid Exec. It cost €3,500. (€1,500 from BTW scheme.)

I picked up the bike a week ago.

As I said in my opening post, I needed a bike to bring me to work in the morning without sweating (12KM) but also a bike where I can get plenty of exercise on other journeys.

I could not be happier. It is an absolutely beautiful bike. Journeys to work are a breeze. The electric assist is phenomenal. On the highest turbo setting you could climb any hill in Ireland without breaking a sweat.

I have done a couple of cycles between 15 and 20KM without the power assist. Honestly, it is a beautiful bike to cycle. Although it feels heavy to lift, it does not feel heavy at all to cycle. I honestly think that with the battery turned off, it is still as easy to cycle as the old trek hybrid I had years ago.

The range is excellent. Up to 120km on the lowest power assist.

An expensive bike, but I could not be happier and the service from Richie's bike shop was excellent.

Thanks for the recommendations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's not 1500 from the BTW scheme though, there's a tax-free component of the first 1500 of the spend.

750 off roughly - all helps through. Used to be lower.

Just on this, I decided to take all the pain in one payslip and my salary was down €642 so I seem to have saved €858. I would be on the top rate of tax, USC etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement