Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Triumph Stag - What will need done?

Options
  • 21-07-2023 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I'm new to owning a classic car. My Uncle had a 1971 Triumph Stag that my auntie has now passed on to me. It was sitting in a dry garage since around 2002 or 2003 without moving. I am now going to arrange to move it to my home but wanted to get it serviced first. What should I be asking a mechanic to check and what should I be replacing first off. I'm aware rust might turn out to be a major issue so im just wanting to get it up and running first and see how I find it before I commit to alot of money doing a full on refurbishment.

Any guidance I could receive would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi, congrats on your new car :)

It's not clear if you intend to drive it to your home or trailer it. If you are going to try start it up, even for a bit, I would advise that you first remove the plugs and drop a little engine oil into the cylinders. Then turn the engine over using a socket on the end of the crank pulley to ensure it's not seized up, before using the starter motor.

After that I'd say all the fluids will need changing, oil/filter first to see if it runs, then the rest, coolant, brake fluid, gearbox/diff, power steering if it has that.

Jack up each wheel to check for brake binding. Check brake lines for leaks and perished hoses. Same with radiator hoses.

As you say rust may be an issue.

Google "recommissioning a car after sitting 20 years", lots of info there.

Going forwards I would strongly recommend joining the owners club if there is one here, or if not the UK one. I'd assume it's similar to the Mercedes club I'm in, it's UK based but covers here. It has a forum which is invaluable for help.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Before you do anything I would join a Triumph owners club. Original Stag V8 engines are a mess even when new and the bodyshells rust like most cars of that era. Check out what you have got before spending any money on it and only bring it to someone who knows these vehicles otherwise you could be spending money like its going out of fashion.

About Us - Triumph Classic Owners Club Ireland (ning.com)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Stag was a great car, with a great design. It was a fabulous body design by Michelotti with great lines, but a disappointment because it was launched with a defective V8 engine. The 3 litre V8 engine produced less power than the 2.5 litre Triumph engine in the Triumph 2.5 PI car launched at the same time. However most of its shortcomings have been solved over the years.

It suffers from rust as most BL cars of that era did. However, the mechanics are robust, with strong brakes, suspension. It is more a grand tourer than a sports car. Hood can be tricky to stash away, and maintain. Always unzip the back window before putting down. A hard top was available, but rust was a problem with those too.

Great car to drive, but thirsty. Good luck with it.

Any chance of a few pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

firstly, commiserations on the loss of your uncle. 

I've owned a Stag for 16 years and can honestly say its been the most reliable car I've owned obviously, its not used every day, or even every week, but its only let me down once in all those years due to a failed fuel pump, and that was a €30 fix. 

In my opinion, any Stag that is still in regular use, will have had the problems associated with the original cars sorted out by now or it wouldnt be still on the road. I dont think they are any more prone to rust than any other 70's car, but like any 40/50 year old, car they need to be garaged and minded.

If your circumstances dont allow you to keep it garaged, I would move it on and perhaps use the funds to get a more modern classic. 

My stag has had a few stablemates over the years including, a 67 MGB roadster, a BMW 635csi, a Porsche 928 S4 and currently, a Mercedes 500 SL R129, but the Stag has always been garaged while the others had to put up with the elements. the older cars suffered, while the newer ones seem to be able to weather the elements.

best of luck whatever you decide, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to shot me a pm.

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

• Advertisement
Advertisement