Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LASEK, is it very painful?

Options
  • 20-07-2023 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

It was recommended to me that I have LASEK but was advised that is it "extremely painful" Is it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

It is more painful than LASIK because in LASEK they remove the outer surface of the cornea and it takes a few days to regrow.

There is no way to make it pain free, but the surgeon can recommend ways of reducing the pain.

Pain is a very subjective thing, so no-one can really tell you exactly how you will find it. Some people find the dentist an excruciating and terrifying ordeal, others are so relaxed they fall asleep in the chair.

You have to judge how sensitive to pain you are and in particular how you manage with discomfort in your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I had this surgery done in 2016 on a Friday.

Pain hit me bad on the Saturday evening.

Bouts of pain on the Sunday, and by the Monday, pain had basically passed.

Its not a great feeling, but I'd do it all over again, in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks both for the helpful answers. I've been offered it to correct 2 LASIK procedures that have left me with blurring at all distances in one eye. I'm not keen as the surgeon also said that it might make my vision short sighted again which sounds a bit vague for my liking. It's a long story but I suspect there isn't enough cornea left to do much else with lasering at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SamBlumenthal

LASEK involves removing the thin outer layer of the cornea (epithelium) before reshaping the cornea with a laser. This process can cause discomfort or a burning sensation. However, the surgeon will typically use numbing eye drops to minimize any pain or discomfort during the procedure. Unlike LASIK, which has a relatively quick recovery period, LASEK generally has a longer healing time. It may take a few days to a week or more for the epithelium to fully heal, during which you might experience some discomfort. Again, pain is very subjective to different individuals and it is considered as relatively more painful than LASIK.

Thanks Sam. The surgeon advised that it was "extremely painful" which I thought was a bit over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The Valium they gave me helped 🥳

it was a while ago, I don’t remember it being to painful…… the smell of burning stuck with me though

Yes, I got that smell of burning too with the Lasik!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

I found it very painful. When it got very bad I had anaesthetic drops. I had to lie down in a darkened room while recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

My bad. It was LASIK that I got done.

if I recall the only pain I experienced was more of a discomfort one when they were trying to get the suction cup in place, pressing hard down. I called it the can opener because of how it operates 🤣

The suction cup was the worst bit for me. And directly afterwards I found it very painful when the anaesthetic wore off . But by the evening any pain or discomfort was very manageable with the hydrating drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 FrankT.

got it done 10 years ago. A little bit of stinging but not painful. Was send home with pain killers, went to bed, woke up next morning. No pain and I could see without glasses. Worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭sniperman

is lasik or lasek used to correct a astigmatism?i have that in my right eye

Advertisement