Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squeezing in a second bathroom

Options
  • 20-07-2023 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm looking at ways to put in a second bathroom.

Ideally I would remove the Closet between the two larger bedrooms but I'm beginning to think that would make the bedrooms too small. I would like an Ensuite with toilet, sink and shower.

Other option would be just remove the box room, turn it into an ensuite with additional storage accessible from the hall.

Would appreciate any thoughts / input?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Is that bathroom wall between the shower and the stairs moveable (towards the stairs)? I'm just looking at the landing space there which isn't really being used..

Post edited by CPTM on

It might be a bit of a squeeze and you're moving walls but maybe that's better than trying to get pipes over to the other side of the house and this way you keep that third room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

That layout is identical to my parents house though the sizing might be different.

Where you're suggesting moving the wall is the top of the stairs, you'd need that space for entering and exiting the stairs.

I think one of the neighbours got the closets taken out and shower/toilet/sink put in as I remember suggesting it to the parents. (Who were having none of it)

Going back years now, but it did look nice.

Oh yeah thanks, I see that now, I thought the stairs were going the other way, I didn't look at them properly. They'd need a turn put in at the top of the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The best option is probably to sacrifice the closet and lose a bit from both big room. Unless you have no interest in selling and don't need a third bedroom, then you could lose the boxroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

Thanks both for suggestions. I like the idea of turning the stairs but think that might add a good bit to the budget.

I'm worried the bedrooms might be too small after adding the bathroom in the wardrobes?

It might be worth asking around. Materials wouldn't be too expensive and it shouldn't take a good carpenter more than a day or two to do I would have thought. The guys who did my attic conversion installed the entire stairs in half a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Would losing the closet and a bit of the bedroom beside the box room work .

Have the ensuite door in the back bedroom in the middle of the closet as we look at it now with the toilet to the left of the door , sinking facing the door and shower to the right of the door .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

That's exactly the way to do it if going the closet route.

You can get very streamlined toilets and sinks so you may not lose too much of the bedroom space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you move outside the width of the closet you're looking at moving both front room and box room doors, which will be an incredible amount of work aswell as losing space anyway. I'm not saying you couldn't make 700mm work but that would be incredibly tight.

• Advertisement

Ye 700mm is very tight, I'd have thought a wider bathroom that eats into the rooms but at the same time keep some wardrobe near the doors would be the way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A bedroom without a wardrobe is a pain in the árse.

I'd still be hoping to fit one in, just not built in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭standardg60

Whb could be moved to opposite wall in bathroom, then existing wall between bathroom and front bedroom could be moved 300mm to the left. Ensuite could then be installed between the two.

The reason I was trying to keep the bathrooms near each other is because my understanding is that it can be tricky enough to install a sewage pipe where there is no existing one. Does anyone more experienced than me know if that's true?

If, for example, you put a toilet in that closet space, or on the other side of the house, wouldn't it generally be fairly costly to connect up the sewage properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A bedroom without a wardrobe is a delight so long as you have a dressing room and bathroom elsewhere as it allows one occupant to leave the bedroom quietly when they get up! Marriage saver.

I would be concerned about the plumbing. If it's in the box room I'm hoping we could just go out the side of the house, down the side, then join up with the pipes in the back.

If it's in between the two bedrooms not sure if we'd get away with putting them under the floor boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

Valid concern. There is probably not much of a drop to work with.

Macerators may help, but I've heard they are troublesome.

Also for shower - will it be 2 electric showers? Only 1 can run at any time.

Both off tank? May need to increase pressure from tank.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Whatever you do, don't lose a bedroom. A friend of mine was buying a new build in Dublin 25 years ago. He did a deal with the builder no to kit out the en-suite and not to erect stud walls or doors around the ensuite and master bedroom and got a discount of £1,500. He then created an extra bedroom with the space bringing the house from 3 bedrooms with an ensuite to 4 bedrooms without an ensuite. It cost very little to remodel the space so it was cost neutral. He got a higher rent for the house and when he sold it, the house made a higher price than the neighbouring houses with ensuites.

I'd be planning on living in it for the foreseeable. Extra bathroom is far more important to me than any hypothetical extra sales price.

• Advertisement

The cost of the work and diminution in market value will not be available in the event you decide to trade up. That is something to be considered. I have seen people lavish money on a house only to hand the entire benefit to the new owner for nothing when they trade up.

I understand that and appreciate the advice. But this is my home not an investment, I'm going to maximise for my enjoyment/comfort not hypothetical sales value. Sure for all I know the house will be worth 20% in 30 years when I'm looking to sell.

It might be your home, but it is also a major investment, possibly thye biggest you have made in your life. What is important when you go to sell is the relative value to whatever you buy in place of it.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If it impacts the price by a substantial amount I can always revert it back. I've done the maths and it's a no brainer for me.

At the moment it's an electric shower. I'd probably remove this and go for power shower. I like proper pressure and the hot water tank is large enough. Waiting to hear back from several bathroom places about what they recommend/quotes.

Advertisement