Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice regarding an FOIA request?

Options
  • 20-07-2023 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks, the very 1st thing I want to make clear here is that I am not looking to apportion blame to an individual, nor am I seeking to take any action as a result of this FOIA other than perhaps hoping the coroner will make recommendations for improvements.

I lost my brother earlier this week; his death was subsequent to a stroke a month earlier. At the initial incident, there was quite a wait for an ambulance, and whilst I don't believe this wait contributed in a significant way to his passing. I do believe that if it can be used to highlight resourcing and response issues for the emergency services? That he would want me to ensure it was done.

The FOIA form makes clear that the information request must be very specific. So much so that I don't believe just requesting the call logs and escalation or priority assigned to the call will be sufficient to ascertain just where and why there was a significant wait for an ambulance to attend.

I'm hoping that some of the NAS members here can run an eye over my proposed questions and let me know if they think are specific to garner the required information?

I am requesting access to the call logs and the priority assigned to XXXX during the incident raised on the XXXX.

To that end I am requesting that all call logs relating to this incident, both from XXXX family and friends on the scene and from the community First aiders who were initially despatched

What priority was originally assigned to XXXX call?

What information on XXXX condition was forwarded by the community first aiders?

What effect did that forwarded information have on the priority assigned to XXXX case?

Did the ambulance carrying XXXX stop to consult with another ambulance crew prior to reaching CUH? If so, Why?

From the time the ambulance arrived on scene, to the time it arrived at CUH, how long had elapsed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry for your loss. FOI is about getting access to existing records. You can't be asking 'why' or 'what effect' or such questions. You can just ask them for relevant records, and then do the whats and the whys yourself afterwards.

There may also be a question around your entitlement to personal information about your brother. It would probably help if you confirm that you're his next of kin, or that the request comes from his next of kin.

Advertisement