Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Tiguan fuel flap won't open

Options
  • 20-07-2023 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

The fuel flap on my Tiguan won't open. Looks like it is not unlocking when the central locking unlocks.

'someone' keeps letting the fuel go down to next to nothing before refuelling , despite many warnings...

Anyway, not enough fuel to go to the dealer so 3 options open to me.

Local mechanic, who didn't sound like he knew much about it on the phone, VW roadside assistance (free since last service), who will most likely toe the car to the dealer, or my insurers roadside assistance which is 'free'.

Does anyone have any advice on which ones to try or if there's a way I can get the fuel flap open manually?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On some cars you can access a release cable to pull that will open them from inside the car. Is there some access point you can see inside the boot area, it might look like one of the compartments you open to access when replacing bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul15139

Did you try to manually override to open the fuel flap? there should be a manual release lever or a cord inside the trunk if I'm not mistaking and that should open the fuel flap from the inside.

Let me know if you manage to get it open from the inside otherwise, I would suggest getting someone to scan the car and see if they can find any errors of why the fuel flop doesn't unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Seems common problem, heres one solution but a bit of work, scroll down a bitfor clear instructions and pictures

https://www.mytiguan.com/threads/how-to-opening-the-tiguan-fuel-door-manually-when-the-actuator-fails.54454/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭User1998

Happened to me a few times. I usually pry the plastic fuel door cover off and just force it open. Sometimes if you keep pressing the button and pushing the fuel door in it will open eventually

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

My Tiguan does that sometimes. It does not like the key in the ignition. It sometimes does not unlock the flap if the unlock is pressed in the door. It appears to prefer the fob pressed next to the flap.

Unfortunately, the whole thing causes a flap an it is difficult to recall which particular action undid the flap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Sounds like the actuator is on the way out. If there isn't a manual release in the boot then you might have to take off the wheel arch and open it manually there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Archeron

Happened to me in an i40, i kept the key out of the ignition, driver door open, and pressed the central locking button on the dash a few times. It unlocked the flap after a few attempts and hasn't happened since. Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

So looks like the actuator is dead. I got it open eventually by force. Just the actuator end piece broke, but needs replaced anyway.

On a side note, it looks like it's straightforward to replace once I have access to the fuel area, remove the plastic and should be just unplug and replace. Could save me from a main dealer bill.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get a VW spare actuator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I assume its a main dealer part

I would also check it before you close the flap if it has another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭User1998

Scrapyard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A genuine one will probably only be around €40, that's what I paid the last time I got one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What a fcuking nuisance on a 2018 car. Why is it the VAG group have to overly complicate things. Some old banger of a Nissan or Toyota would not have an issue like this.

Maybe VW's genius engineers could study an old Nissan to reserve engineer the flap opening mechanism and adopt to future models.

I have a family member with an Audi plagued by stupid random issues since almost new.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Had the same issue with 2014 Polo recently. Replaced the actuator which was a part for both Audi and VW but check the part number to make sure it fits the Tiguan as they all seem to have a slightly different shape to fit the car body. Its the number after "Italy" on mine. Used a couple of YouTube videos to help get it out. The most difficult part was getting the wire connector disconnected as its really down in a tricky place inside the wheel arch. The replacement also came with a red plastic cable which is connected to a manual release on the side of the actuator which you can access from a panel in the boot. The Polo didn't come with it as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The only good thing with German cars is their reliability to visit a garage with a fault or 2 or more. They are not meant to last and can spend a small fortune keeping it on the road .

Toyota service plugs air and oil filters and oil and see you next year.

Vw electronics suck and love eating bulbs and brakes meaning more money spent , dam window scratching up and down and more money.

Advertisement