Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobility issues … any ideas?

Options
  • 20-07-2023 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I’m in my 30s and I have been putting up with worsening back problems for a long time and didn’t really appreciate or recognise quite how bad things were until recently.

I had been putting it down to injuries, muscle strains and minor things for years, but it has become really bad. I have had bouts be being unable to walk very far at all. I’ve been stuck abroad where I wasn’t able to get to an airport without serious assistance and that’s stopped me travelling on my own. I’ve had times where I’m unable to do the shopping, sometimes can’t even get from the house to the car.

I had an MRI, which shows up 4 disc issues, bulges, protrusions, a couple of bone spurs and stuff impinging on the thecal sac, and nerve exit roots in my lower back. Seems to be coming from a lower back scoliosis issue or my hips being out of line, which I didn’t ever think I had any issue with until now!

Physio has been hugely useful and I’ve a consultant booked, but it’s just a bit frustrating. I’m struggling to do some of the home exercises a lot of the time.

There are various prescribed yoga poses and exercise. Mostly they’re ok but some I just can’t do sometimes. It’s too sore to get down on my knees for example. Everything clicks - My knees, my hips, my feet. I feel like I’m falling apart and I was fit.

I’m also trying to go to the gym and do swimming, but a lot of the time it’s ending up that I’m optimistic but then too sore.

I’ve been thinking back on this and tbh I have had it for years. I’ve just been automatically covering it up. Mostly I have had it in bouts. I sit. I avoid stuff, plan routes, bring a golf umbrella in case I get too sore, I take panadol before I go out sometimes, and been getting into just cold sweats of pain sometimes.

To make matters worse I seem to be allergic to NSAIDs… so I don’t take anything much.

I’m working remotely, just didn’t quite realise why I’ve slipped into this mode of doing things. Plans are getting cancelled, I’m not getting to do what I want to do anymore and haven’t been for ages. I’ve all sorts of things I want to do, including postgrad research and I just never seem to have the time or the energy anymore. I keep starting things with loads of optimism and then getting stuck and parking them indefinitely and I think people are just seeing me as flakey or uncommitted things.

Sorry if this is a bit of a long post. I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced similar and if they’ve any advice. I’m getting to the medical side of it but I’m just wondering about the practicalities. I can’t just keep hobbling around like this, or maybe I might just have to.

Comments

Advertisement