Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E6- ''Lost In Translation'' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 19-07-2023 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Warning may contain Spoilers.

I wonder will this one have something to do with Aliens and the translator not working or something. Just a guess.

Hopefully it's good whatever it's about.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭eadrom

Good stuff, as per.

Nice to see Hemmer again, kinda miss him.

And I guess our first time seeing actually real 'prime' James T. Jirk. I thought he was pretty good! Felt better and more familiar (Kirk-like) than other times we've seen him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just finished watching it now.

Great episode. I was right about there being something to do with communicating with Aliens in it and I just guessed that from the title if the episode.

It was good to see Hemner back.

I kind of felt a lot of this episode kinda had parts familier from TNG episodes do like the nacelle toom for instance and the person going a bit crazy as happened in that episode in mTNG also felt the refinery part was a bit like the station on TNG that had the weird morphing alien that had discussed itself as a dog and that tried to kill Geordie.

So I genuinely think the people writing this are trekkers are are getting ideas from the other Trek shows but putting there own mix on them. That is good. More of that is good. This to me was the best episode this season yet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It was decent, but fairly straight forward. Having seen the preview and the title in advance, I'd already guessed the entire plot. The main story point of the visions really being aliens trying to communicate is and and well worn one. What I appreciated more was the small continuation of all the other threads from past episodes, Spock/Chapel, Kirk/La'an, Uhura and her parents. The core gimmick seems to serve more to provide a framework for those character moment instead of being its own end. It was also nice to see the James/Sam connections get filled out and be a bit more complex. Ironically the thread that serves as motivation for the story, the looming Gorn war, doesn't actually progress.

The Hemmer reappearance felt a bit cheap though. They'd already promised a return of the actor, but it seems to be a bit of a bait and switch that it's just a video log and an hallucination, rather than a proper role.

The bit that annoyed me is another appearance of the flash frozen body in space trope. Picard made the same mistake, as did SNW before. Bodies in space don't freeze like that, they retain heat longer in fact. But I guess they're not going to show someone's blood boiling out either.

This season is feeling a bit flat to me so far. There's nothing I would call bad about it, such as the kid in the transport buffer in season 1, but it's not impressing me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was very similar to 2 Troi episodes. One it's a bit like is she is seeing hallucinations of a murder in the nacelles and the other that it's very like is the "eyes in the dark, one moon circles" episode.

I enjoyed the episode and mystery even if it was a bit obvious but it was very heavily centred on Uhura and Una who I think are pretty weak characters so it was never gonna be a favourite.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Any one else find the recaps very annoying and pointless. They felt the need to show us Spock getting angry at Kirk for fear we would not get the call back later.

They are also very soppy and Discoveryy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Reminded me of the ugly bags of mostly water TNG episode

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Home_Soil_(episode)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Anyone else not remember recap and was wondering which Kirk? It is Sam and not James been referred to here.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It was all very predictable but I enjoyed it - as above there seems to be a lot more character exploration this season with the story being the thread between them and that is grand by me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Eh, fine. Agree with the above that Hemmer was a bit of a dud, story was nothing out of the ordinary. I think the season has been pretty okay so far, though I do worry that they're going to drag the absolute arse out of the Gorn storyline, considering there's the LD and musical episode to come, leaving only a couple to develop that thread.

Don't mind the lad playing young Kirk. He's fine, but I hope he's more of a drop in once a season kind of character than recurring, though I was wrong about Ethan Peck as Spock so we'll see. Did enjoy his interactions with his brother though, that was a fun little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! Just great, well done those writers! Weaving in the future of the Enterprise so subtly. La'an a no for reasons but Spock and Uhura a yes. Just so good.

Top it off with a good delving into Uhuras history to develop her character, memories of Hemmer from number one and Uhura and a solid new life story.

Hats off to those writers, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got confused for the first part of that for Kirks rank, forgot that season 1 was alt timeline too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thought we would see La'an seeing Kirk with Uhura.

So is the band made up of crewmembers or do they just have a band onboard? Or maybe they were docked somewhere.

Not the only one, thinking why are acting like they've never met before then d'oh

On thinking back now about the Spock/Kirk meeting its more a big thing now to me - Uhura, Spock and Kirk the only members from this show that are in TOS and that was the first moment they were all together

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Main cast from the TOS at least other enterprise crew are in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

An OK episode. It didn’t do a heap fir me in most respects. I saw the plot coming a mile off. TNG did lots of that. I couldn’t remember he exact episodes so thanks to the earlier posters.

Good to flesh out Uhura and Unz a bit more. I liked Kirk sim this, and his relationship with Sam. The meeting at the end wasn’t lost on me but my angle was that they were pitching fit a post Pike/Pre-TOD show now after SNW ends. That’s how it felt to me.

All in all I felt it was a decent if unremarkable episode. Then I checked myself. After struggling through discovery and 2 awful Picard seasons, 3 years ago I’d have been raving about an episode like this. Good proper workmanlike Star Trek. They need longer seasons though if they want to do run of the mill episodes like this. God I’m not complaining and it’s the drawback of 10 episode seasons that every episode kind of has to be a big episode. Star Trek excelled sometimes in the quieter run of the mill episodes with character driven stories. I know there’s a background Gorn plot somewhere they’re not really advancing. I don’t mind about that. I like episodes like this but we’re in the tail end of the season now. Really I just want more like this and 10 episodes isn’t enough.

Acyually I’m not looking forward to the LD crossover episode. It seems silly and a waste of a precious episode at this stage.

Post edited by squonk on

As long as they dont go the Discovery route of big bad the whole season and then Burnham solves the whole problem in 5 mins in the last episode followed by big hugs and lots of crying

I'm guessing they will do a big 2 final episodes to do the Gorn story, with maybe a few snippets over the next few episodes

I was really excited for the LD episode when it was announced but we have already done a comedy episode which has kind of put me off another one.

SWN episode 5 was literally solved with hugs and crying in the last 5 mins.

I agree though about big world ending bad guy/anomaly every season isn't the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Actually one small irk I have is that while it’s great they’ve gone back to introducing stories with a log entry, I miss that it’s not a Catain’s log. I don’t see why it couldnt t be either but I know the current way adds a bit of variability.

Ms

I was dissapointed that we never got to see the Farragat at all in the whole episode. Surely even a bit of a bridge to bridge communication would not have been hard to do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Very weird that there wasn't a side by side fly-by.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Looking back, they seem to have almost taken pains to avoid any presence of the Farragut except for the presence of Kirk. They refer to the captain, the departing first office, their chief doctor, yet never take the time to give any of them so much as a name. They barely show a long distance shot of the ship leaving the refinery, even though they already have the CGI model, and it wouldn't mean further costs.

I'm wondering now if they're keeping it a blank slate, to enable an early Kirk spin-off as he rises in ranks on the Farragut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good episode. Proper alien of the week stuff.

Nice to see Hemmer back, even if it was all to brief.

I like how Kirk and Spocks friendship began with a mutual dislike of Sam Kirk lol

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This episode is kinda what should have happened in Charades, new life form discovered, lets investigate.

Was fine as an episode but I would say not that rewatchable as its been done many times before and it was obvious where it was going from the beginning.

This show feels very much like those live action Disney movies.

Don't expect anything new just 21st century takes on your old favourites.

This season much like TOS is a show I would happily have on in the background making breakfast on a Saturday morning if the show popped up on one of those "Gold" channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

That felt like a classic episode of Star Trek. One thing that bothers me, and this isn't SNW exclusive, is deuterium. None of the Star Trek writer seem to know what it is, it's not particularly rare and is chemically the same as hydrogen so you can't be poisoned by it. I suppose you could make the argument that the nebula just had a particularly high concentration bit any old ocean should provide more than is ever needed. Earth's oceans contain approximately 7.5 *10^35 atoms or somewhere in the region of 2,000 tonnes, if I didn't miss a decimal place and the first results on Google were reasonably accurate.

Nothing got to do with Star Trek engines ever made sense.

All you need to know is that when there is a problem you invert something quantum to stabilise the bubble/field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

A reasonable Star Trek style episode and yeah, as soon as I heard "the noise", I'd figured it was nebula-alien communications, so been there, done that. I'd agree with others that with the shorter seasons we shouldn't be having quite as many of these style episodes as we seem to be getting this season.

Also not-Kirk was played a bit better this time, so he might grow on me yet.

I was wondering about Pike's new badge.

Is this indicating his new rank as Fleet Captain?

If so, why was Spock surprised when Una congratulated him? He'd been on the bridge for a while with Pike wearing it.

Advertisement