Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing

Options
  • 19-07-2023 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone has any info on council housing. My wife and i currently rent privately which is great but recently her grandmother fell ill. She lives in a nice small council house for the last 30years. My wife has it in her head to move in and look after her as we are probley all there is to do as everyone else has moved further afield. We live about 20miles from her. It would be alot handier work wise to move in and look after her as both workplaces would be alot closer. And i have no problem agreeing to it but only if i knew for certain that the council would let us remain in the house if she happened to pass away. Otherwise i wouldnt want to give up my rental. All would be above board with the council as we would explain we are moving in to look after her so we dont mind paying higher rent but has anyone any experience in doing this giving that we are both working and are over the council house threshold .Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Give the Citizens Advice Bureau a call if you haven't been chatting to them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭zell12

'giving that we are both working and are over the council house threshold .Thanks'

You'll be turfed out after granny's death as you don't qualify

You should still consider it as granny could get money. Not clear how it affects Council rents though

Council tenants can earn up to €14,000 tax-free (not affecting social welfare, either)a year under the rent-a-room scheme. You could move in as granny's tenants instead of Council tenants, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As a grandchild you would need to reside in the house for a min. of 5 years to succeed the tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭zell12

OP said they are above threshold for social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Doesn't matter, thats to join the housing list. If you are added as a sub tenant and the tenant dies and you meet the criteria for succession, you can stay. You can earn whatever then and will pay rent accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Giddyupupup

What would be the criteria for succession should she pass

Advertisement