Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Opinions

Options
  • 18-07-2023 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking at a 2013 A5 Sportback, 2l TDI 177bhp manual, 100k miles, belt and pump done, service history, NCT'd to June 2025 and it's around €12k ish. Bluetooth, built in GPS, Cruise ect

I currently drive a 2010 Saab 93 Saloon, TTiD 180, 180k miles, coming up on needing a belt and pump, needs a wishbone to pass the NCT and then I'll only have about a 5 month NCT due to the backlog and late testing and the car is probably worth €2-2500. Saab has heated seats, cruise, no Bluetooth or GPS, just a standard head unit ect.

Is it worth my while for half the milage, double the NCT, half the road tax (A5 €200, 93 €390, 3 month warranty, belt and pump being done but with the possibility of a DMF and Clutch on the horizon and €10k to come up 3 years and still have a 10 year old car?

Major plus on the A5 is boot space and the hatch back, nipper arrived just over a year ago and while the Saab is built like a tank and feels very safe, trying to fit prams and push chairs and all the other baby related stuff in is a disaster.

Herself has an A5 Automatic with no cruise control and that for me is a killer so while I've experience with both to a degree I'm just on the fence as to the other stuff.

Can't compare real MPG as hers is automatic and the 93 is manual so I'd say the two different models of A5 will be a world apart.

Drive the Saab until the death or change it while it is still worth something to me and someone else. The 93 has been kind, many happy miles with power on demand, parts are cheap and plentiful but it has no real market value and with the milage it may become a money pit and garage queen, with the A5 I'll still have a car worth value in a couple of years and again with much lower miles on the clock.

Tips, suggestions are welcome to assist in the mind making upping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I wouldn't bother.

Bought an older a5 myself this year with same mileage. 6k for a 3.0 auto (2008).

That just seems a bit on the high side for the year and mileage (appreciating that second hand prices are still mad).

What are you gaingin really for 10 grand? Better the devil you know if the Saab is running well.

Secondly, now I'm tall, there is no space behind me at all in the A5. My 4 year old has to put her feet up on the seat when she's in a high back booster and absolutely no chance of a rear facing seat going in there.

If it's boot space and seat space you're after I'd go up a class. Just sold a 5 series estate, the right car for a bit of space, but would need to have the chain done and good history behind it. A6 if it's an audi you want

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Nothing at all wrong with the 93 except milage/age and coming up on a t/belt and pump. Just don't want to be throwing away good money. A set of turbo's is a small fortune if they go and if an injector goes I'd hate to try and pull them given the duration they've been in there. Could happen with anything of course, could buy the Audi, breakdown and the Saab could pass me!

It even though it's a fake GM Saab is a nice place to sit for hours on end, doing about 55mpg and still has lots of power.

I'm one of those who got the DPF deleted because it was filling the sump with diesel even though it was living on the motorway and there didn't appear to be a fix with Saabs closing. And diluted oil isn't great for bearings, cranks, cams or turbos so the delete happened for that reason. I don't understand why manufacturers cannot put in a light and message saying "regen in progress, drive for X number of miles" and it would have saved many so much hassle. So DPF issues at 100k miles could crop up.

Actually on the subject of oil, one major bug bearer of mine with regards to the newer VAG Range is the lack of a dipstick, you won't know if 1:it's filling the sump with fuel or 2: if it's low on oil how much to top it up by. That digital dipstick on the centre display actually affects me in a big way for those two reasons on her A5.

Legroom isn't an issue as herself is small so he's always on her side.

I know it seems high price wise for its age but for the mileage, condition, history and presentation it really seems bang on. There's newer cars with more miles that don't look as smart commanding more.

If you want the Audi, go for it but it's a terrible choice in terms of value for money, is it a garage or private sale?. Could you get the repairs done on the Saab and put off purchasing a newer vehicle when you can afford more?

Just editing my original comment:

Had an A4 avant myself, bought at start of covid with similar mileage and same year as above, with an impeccable service history, was the comfiest car I have ever driven in and had loads of room. Unfortunately after doing about 12,000kms the car needed 4 injectors, was having dpf issues and needed a new AC compressor. I ended up trading it on for a Megane 2017 1.6 130bhp GT Line Tourer as just needed something to throw the dogs around in and be a decent commuter. When coming up to 10 years, especially in an Audi/BMW they can just have issues that will cost a fortune. Your 12k for the car could turn into 15k in a year as they are not cheap or easy to fix.

On a private sale I wouldn't go past 10k and a garage wouldn't offer you that on a trade in.

Saab is getting repaired regardless, it's only a wishbone and a couple of bulbs and it's getting NCT'd.

I hear you on your history with the A4, could happen anything at any minute.

Money wise I hear you, it's a nice spec, nice mileage, bit on in years. But it could get expensive.

All excellent points, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,743 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My previous A6 had 410000km on it when I traded it in 2 years ago. Had recently developed an intermittent oil pressure warning and going into limp mode and with the mileage and age (2010) it wasn't worth fixing. Until that point though there was nothing major as far as I recall beyond normal wear and tear for a high mileage car (I was doing 1300km a week). Everything else worked perfectly though so I was sad to see it go.

One before it was a 2005 A6 that also had high milage when I changed - mostly because of the ridiculous tax rates (both were 3L Quattro versions)

It all depends on how they're looked after and the driving you do. Mine spent/spend most of their lives on the motorways and are serviced when due or if something comes up. I also don't abuse them. I regularly got complements on how fresh/well they looked despite their age.

Current 2012 A7 hasn't put a wheel wrong yet albeit it has SIGNIFICANTLY lower mileage (only 163k km) but it has the same easy life (easier actually as I mostly WFH nowadays) so it'll probably last years yet - well until insurance decide it's "too old" and price it off the road no doubt, or I find the right A8! :)

• Advertisement

My mind was made up for me, called in to see the car in question and it had been sold yesterday.

Thanks all for the input!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

maybe its better that your hand has been forced. at least now you dont have any 'what ifs '

Advertisement