Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Final Pre Drinks

Options
  • 18-07-2023 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is where I should post this, but I’ve an uncle home from America and he’s going to the All Ireland this weekend. He’s looking for a decent pub with a bit of atmosphere to have a pint beforehand, but not one where you will be 10 people deep in que! Where is best for pints before the match on Sunday that you won’t be queuing 10 people deep at the bar? I assume it would be somewhere closer to town and away from Croker, but I don’t want to send him somewhere in town that wouldn’t have a sinner in it either. He’s staying in a hotel in town for the weekend and is sitting in the Hogan Stand, and he doesn’t mind a 20/25 minute walk to get there. It’s been years since I’ve done all Ireland final day and back then I was a young lad who didn’t mind queuing and having the craic in Quinn’s, Big Tree etc so I wouldn’t really have a clue outside of the old regular haunts…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

Few pubs on Marlboro St - Confession Box, Briodys, The pipers. All are decent on the day of a big match. Will be busy but you’ll get to the bar and wont be waiting for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭mobby

Clearys Aimens St, under the Bridge.old school boozer.

Post edited by mobby on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

+1 for Clearys and also The Confession Box mentioned above Quality pints as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Would agree with Clearys & Briodys for pints close enough to town, Barrys hotel just past the top of O'Connell street and up on Dorset street there's the Findlater.

I'd probably go Gills just beside Croke Park, handy for going into the Hogan but might be busier than he'd want

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

We go there before the football final. Haven’t lost a game when we go to it. Afraid not to go now in case we jinx it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think gills was closed on Saturday from what someone told me. Maybe check if going there

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

Palace Bar, off Westmoreland St.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dannymole22

Cusack's in North Strand is a good spot but again it will be busy.

I always find it a nice mix of being busy but it's possible to get a drink without waiting half an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭mobby

GILLS is closed permanently last few years. Sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,845 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was very busy for the semi. Popular pub for Limerick fans.

The Hapenny on the bridge is a much better pub than the touristy name suggests but a bit further up the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Have brought the kids to the last few matches in croker so haven't been to Gills in a good few years. Sad to see it gone

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

That's a pity, nice friendly pub for a busy game day. Think was only opening when something on in Croker for years. Many a pint had in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Cheers for all the feedback lads. He's going to go with The Confession Box, he reckons he got a ticket for the 74 All Ireland of a local Taxidermist in that pub 🤣, although he doesn't think it was called The Confession Box then...been a Kilkenny man he reckons the omens are good if he heads there again after 74!!! 🤣🤣

Advertisement