Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get my son insurance.

Options
  • 18-07-2023 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

So want to get my son going.

He has done his 12 lessons.

I am going to buy a 1.6 A3 so I will be named driver and put him on as a named driver. I tried with my 3ltr JEEP but as expected my insurance company said No.

At the min they are hmming and hawing about adding him onto a policy if I buy the A3.

I would be prepared to move ins companies if they say No.

Would it damage my policy/insurance reputation if I moved mid policy?

And can anyone recomend a broker for this situation.

I am 53 with full ncb.

Son is 21 with only a motorbike ncb * of 1 year and 1st provisional.

*I havent told my insurance about his motorbike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I am going to buy a 1.6 A3 so I will be named driver and put him on as a named driver.

If you will be a named driver on the A3, who's name will be on the policy i.e. who will be 'the insured'.

Did you mean that you will take out a new policy in your name on the A3 and add your son as a named driver? If so, be prepared to answer the question: 'who will be the main driver of the A3?'

I tried with my 3ltr JEEP but as expected my insurance company said No.

You tried what? Adding him as a named driver to your Jeep's policy won't allow him to drive the A3. Named driver applies to one policy and one vehicle only, there is no 'driving other cars' if you are a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Sorry meant to say I will park the jeep up and the A3 will become the main/only car in use.

I will be MAIN driver and my son will NAMED.

No other car involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That arrangement should be ok.

I'd just caution you that you might be as well to sell the Jeep if you don't intend driving it. Because if you go looking to insure it after a period when it has been 'laid up', you may have problems. Insurance companies don't like vehicles with (uninsured) gaps in their history.

OK. Thanks.

I got a qoute thats liveable ..

I may SORN the Jeep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

Hi All

I am just looking to gain from some of your knowledge/experience!

My Daughter is 17 and currently doing her 12 lessons with Aviva and will apply for the test asap as soon as she turns 18.

I was looking at the possiblity of buying her a small car when she gets her test but the insurance situation seems more complicated than I was expecting.

Am I correct in saying the following?

She wont be able to get her own policy until she has had a licence for three years.

If I buy a car and put it in my name, I cannot get cover as insurance companies are looking for at least 1 years no claims bonus on a second policy ie they dont want to do it. My plan was to buy the car and insure my daughter as a named driver.

I presume I am missing something here as otherwise there would be no young people driving! Some of her friends got their licence last year and are apparently driving their own cars now so how are they doing it!?

Thanks!

What I ended up doing was having to transfer my policy to the 'L' car and add my son as a named driver.

The insurance company made/asked me to sign a form declaring that I was the main driver and my son was the named.

It was surprisingly cheap. Just an extra €160.

It meant that my Jeep is effectively off the road.

I made sure that when my son passes his test and looks for insurance in his own name they will stand over the named driver experience that he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Anybody can get an insurance policy once they have a licence. Never heard that 3 year rule before. Unless that's something new? But there's a 19 year old young one in work insures her own polo and she couldn't possibly have a licence 3 years.

Her friends may be named drivers or they may have their own policies. It's just the expense that is the hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I got my 18 year old a car for her birthday.

Quotes of 3 grand plus, for a 1L corsa. I got a tracker box on it and insurance in her name with dad as named driver. AIG insurance

Year 1 1600 euro

Year 2 900 euro.

IMO A 1.6L audi is asking for trouble. They will want to see your lad start small and work their way up. Prove themselves.

But that is just my opinion.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

There doesn't seem to be a lot of logic in the insurance industry in Ireland.

My son is looking to get his first car, 18 on a provisional licence.

He's been getting online quotes on all types of cars. He tried a 0.9 ltr petrol Clio = €3400

2012 BMW 116i = €2400

2008 BMW 116i = €3500

2008 BMW 320i = ~ €3800-€4000

2008 Golf 1.4GT TSI 170hp 5 door = €2400 , same car in 3 door a grand more. Sirocco which is pretty much the same car but coupe style = €2200

2008 Golf 1.4 80hp 3 Dr was near €3k

Hyundai Coupe 2008 1.6 petrol = €2100

Best quotes have always been with Alianz, with myself as a named driver (+30yrs licence, no claims/convictions etc).

The size of the engine and power of the car doesn't seem to correlate with their risk rating of cars. Only when he went to something like the 2.0 petrol BMW did it go up really .

The A3 1.6 like op looked at was somewhere in the middle of them all around €2600 I think. He tried to get a quote for a Golf TDI but no one would quote, yet the 1.4TSI is more powerful.

They don't seem to like 3 or 2 door cars, 4/5 doors have been consistently cheaper with same engine and spec etc.

He could get cheaper quotes with a black box tracker insurance but opting against it. His mom has one on her car and it's a nightmare. No actual problems with it yet, but you're constantly watching the speedo. I drive it occasionally and it's so easy to drift over limit without realising, and it's only a 1.2 Micra. She gets annoyed with it herself and she's still a learner too. As a "mature" learner, no one else would touch her. So no choice for now.

• Advertisement

Logic and insurance in Ireland have long since parted ways.

Liberty had qouted me €2000 with me as main driver and my son as named .

My current insurer ,after a few days, came back with a single payment of €160. So in total my insurance with me as main driver etc is €760.

Initially I was fully expecting them to say no on a 1.6 A3 but hey .....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ5831

I have no idea what most people seem to be doing wrong when getting these kinds of quotes

I'm 18 yr old in secondary school and insured a 2010 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0TDI 141hp in my own name with Axa for 1,540e just a week after passing my driving test, and no experience at all to declare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The full licence makes a world of difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Both of my kids started off with Liberty - they were the only people with even a semblance of nomality to their offering(s).

For a start, no-one would quote a car over 10yrs old in the first place, or would at an extorntionate price. Liberty seemed to comprehend young people on their first cars will only be able to buy cheap(ish) cars, many 10 yrs and older.

Daughter, 18, own insurance on a 1.1 Clio - €1,500

Son, 17 own insurance on a 1.4 Astra - € 2,100.

As big a factor in your car choices are popularity: Polo's, Civic's etc are all popular amongst yound drivers and attacact a premium (sic) because of that.

Astra's otoh are Not Cool, and so lower risk - it was €1,000 cheaper than a comparable Golf.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ5831

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

tbh it sounds like you really need trackers in your car(s), those are terrible reasons for not wanting one

had a box tracker with my first policy and then an app tracker with my second. the app itself was a bit rubbish but there was no problem with the actual tracking element

What do you mean by it "sounds like you really need trackers in your cars"?

They're a nightmare, constantly watching speed, personally I prefer to look where I'm going and pay more attention to my surroundings.

Even as a learner my Mrs hates it as she's constantly on edge watching speed in case she accidentally goes over and gets a warning.

My son got a 2011 Renault Megane 1.4 petrol in the end. Paid €2600 fully comp. They wanted over 3k for the diesel version of the same car.

it sounds like you all regularly go over the speed limit tbh so being tracked would be a good idea. if you really cant monitor your speed and your surroundings at the same time then you probably shouldnt be driving also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭User1998

I had a tracker for a couple of years and had no issues with it. Always broke the speed limit with no consequences. The only time I ever got a warning was driving from Dublin to Wexford consistently breaking the limit for an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Zurich via a broker.

You've been driving for 5 minutes.

I had a car bought while I was 16, ready for my 1st lesson on my 17th birthday. Passed 1st time, driving for 31 years since.

Passed motorcycle test 1st time, went straight to a Kawasaki 750 for 4 years.

Passed LGV II 1st time, driving anything up to 33 tonnes for around 10 years.

Well over a million miles of driving across UK and Ireland. No accidents, claims or convictions.

Taught 2 people to drive so far, teaching 2 others at the moment. None of them any claims, convictions or accidents.

If you think a tracker or an app makes you a better driver you've a lot to learn.

delighted for you

if youre so experienced then you should have no problem keeping under the speed limit and therefore a tracker shouldnt be such a big deal

and nowhere did i say a tracker/tracking app makes anyone a better driver, just that its not a big deal and is well worth it if it means that the cost of insurance comes down

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The whole car type versus cost is not a random.as you might think.

If more young people end up in low powered golf versus bmw 318i, the golf on the insurers books will likely produce more accidents and higher premium.

The young fellas tend to move around and the high premium follows them.

It's not so long ago that a jetta was a priests car. The young lads go ahold of them and I'm sure cheap insurance to start but now I'm sure jetta is loaded insrance wise for a young driver.

Advertisement