Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech Delay/Understanding Delay

Options
  • 18-07-2023 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

My little boy has just turned 2. He has approximately 30 words. My worry is his receptive language - I'm not sure if he just isn't understanding what I'm saying or he's being defiant. I'm not sure if he would understand if I said "Where are your shoes?", "Do you want to go outside?" etc - he certainty doesn't seem like he does. 

He had his appointment with the public health nurse and he wouldn't point at the comparison pictures e.g which one is the banana? I'm not sure he understood. 

He's very loving and loves cuddles, doesn't demonstrate any repetitive behaviour, has good eye contact.

I'm just wondering if anyone else's child had a delay in receptive language at age 2 (he's 2 and 2 weeks) and it just came on? The nurse asked if I wanted to refer him to Speech and Language Therapy, which I agreed to (waiting list is very long but I'll go private if I feel there isn't much improvement in a few months)

Very worried about him. Autism is on my mind now because I'm worried about his understanding.

I should add also he claps his hands/waves goodbye/copies what I do. 

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Would you ask for a hearing test? I am sure your gp might be able to advise on that or refer for one. I'd bring him to the gp, even if just for reassurance. Plenty of kids don't have much to say at 2 but if it's understanding too then it could be a hearing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LauraF28

Thanks so much for replying. I forgot to include that we got a hearing test carried out in the Beacon a few months ago, and his hearing is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Does he respond when you’re playing with him, as in with play dough, building blocks or just scribbling pictures? In other words is he more communicative when he is enjoying himself and interacting and chattering with you rather than when being questioned directly?

What about nursery rhymes or singing. Responding to books and pictures or even television.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LauraF28

Hi thanks for replying.

He does respond when I'm playing with him and he loves playing with his toys. He loves nursery rhymes - and can sing "Heads, shoulders, knees and toes", and do the actions. He can say the ABC's up to G as well and count to 5.

If I asked him to get his shoes, for example, he wouldn't have a clue (although I'm not sure if it's that he hasn't a clue or he just doesn't want to - because he is so defiant and almost stubborn!)I'm just worrying so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

i don't know if you saw this,

i know of a lot of two year olds with this, but it's worth looking into, it's becoming very common in current two year olds who were born during the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Try not using direct requests. My grandson always hated being “questioned” and thought adults were idiots for asking the same questions. How old, how is school, how is your baby sister, did you enjoy…

As soon as he could verbalise it he complained. I have learnt to chat with little tots by telling them a little funny story. Something like “ Gosh I was so surprised when I saw a cat chasing a dog on my way here”, “a frog jumped up as I was at the clothes line”. They will usually respond with questions or their own stories or bring me a toy representing said animal. Ice is broken and chat continues. You can also gauge his understanding or if he will engage.

Let’s try find your shoes or you can wear your boots/sandals. You decide if you want to wear this blue jumper or the Paw patrol one.

It gives him a choice and also forces him to engage and make a decision. Then you might know if he understands or just isn’t bothered. Keep it lighthearted and jokey.

Given his speech development, I wouldn’t worry yet. And the lockdown is certainly having an effect on young children.

It doesn’t seem like autism I think.

Post edited by wildwillow on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just curious...does he line up his toys on the floor?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ask him " can you get your shoes before mammy gets them?" And make it a game, pretend to "race" him.See what the response is.

Advertisement