Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pannier bag suggestions

Options
  • 18-07-2023 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Morning,

After serving me well, my Altura Dryline 32 has started to let in water today. I cant seem to find a replacement online. What others would people recommend. Its for a laptop, notepad, change of clothes, etc. on a commute.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ortlieb.

My "front" roller bags (used as rear) must be now 14/15 years old with "daily" use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd second that opinion. I use a front set on the rear for laptop + lock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

I use a Thule Shield 17L as it has divider pockets for the laptop (15.6") etc. No issues with leakage in 2yrs of daily commuting so it seems very durable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Thanks all for the suggestions. Bit of reviewing and decision making to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sanjbmw2001

You could also try this from Decathlon - https://www.decathlon.ie/cycling-bags-and-backpacks/300851-56860-bike-pannier-rack-sports-backpack.html#/demodelsize-254no_size/demodelcolor-8405450

It is a convertible laptop bag to pannier bag with a waterproof cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I have an altura urban dryline that i rarely use in almost perfect condition if you want to go the same route again. If you go to adverts and put in 'altura dryline urban' you will find it.

Aside from that i have a heap of different panniers:

Ortlieb - best of the best! I have back roller classics and a set of smaller front roller ones. I lost one when i hit a giant pothole and it skidded along the tarmac for about 50 meters before coming to rest. Only one small hole in the pvc material. Totally waterproof and really tough. No internal dividers or pockets though, which can be a pain in the backside.

Decathlon - same style as the ortlieb but lighter material. For half the price they are as waterproof, but maybe not as durable and clips for attaching the bags to the rack not as sturdy. Work really well though for the price.

I've a Knog bag that is a double pannier that slings over the rack and then clips together to make a backpack. It's ok, but as it's not waterproof you have to pull out a cover when it rains. You also have to balance your load between the two sides to stop it drooping too much to one side. This a pain at times.

I've a set of non waterproof altra ones too, basic but fine for light touring or commuting with a rain cover.

All of the above have been used for commuting and touring - in short i would say any will do the job, but the ortliebs do it best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

With apologies for the threadjack, can anyone recommend a supplier for Ortlieb replacement parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

As far as I am aware, and my knowledge is dated, cyle superstore and the distributors in Ireland for them.

If you can find the parts online just get them there, or give the above a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Ortlieb here rear paniers. Only quibble with mine is I'd like an outside pocket not just the one big inside pocket. But never let water in. Even in a cloud burst.

Advertisement