Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital gains

Options
  • 18-07-2023 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello,

I'm sure this question has been answered but the search bar isn't helping.

My father has an investment property for over 20 years, he would now like to sell it in order to buy an investment property closer to home. However, the capital gains with selling the property puts him off doing so. Is there a way to avoid capital gains tax if the purpose of selling is to essential swap the property for another property?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't think anyone here will be dumb enough to provide you with details on how to break the law in tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I presume you don’t mean a straight swap, more a replacement.

Not an expert by any means but what you are thinking of may be such an arrangement but it doesn’t apply to houses, more to farms where you have a timeframe to replace the investment.

You have to pay the gain on houses, except your own principal residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomCor1

Thanks, yes for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomCor1

Thanks, yes for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

If he was the sole owner of his main home & had his wife with her maiden name listed as owner of investment property it would have worked people should think when buying any investment .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Or just sell up everything & emigrate taking the funds with you to buy your new home abroad as there is no point staying here anymore with the cost of living.

Advertisement