Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Roads

Options
  • 17-07-2023 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭

What is going on with the state of the roads in the City there are large dent type holes all over especially in Bohermore and now appearing in Eglinton street, the City Council need to take look at what's happening, I was behind a Tour Bus inbound at Bohermore last Friday and it got some bounce going over two bad ones I'm sure it would be worse in double decker .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Have you seen the amount of traffic and the wider bigger vehicles these days? More construction happening, more trucks, more bin collections, more aggressive driving. Takes its toll on surfaces

Research conducted by data journalists at The Telegraph revealed that the average EV exerts 2.24 times more stress on roads compared to a similar petrol vehicle and 1.95 times more stress than a diesel vehicle. The increased weight of EVs can be primarily attributed to their heavy batteries, which can weigh up to 500kg. https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/06/27/evs-cause-twice-the-road-damage-of-petrol-vehicles-study-reveals/

Whatever about Bohermore, I can't see them doing anything major to sort Eglinton st as its due to be all ripped up for Bus Connects anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

While EVs certainly have more weight than their ICE counterparts, and will have an impact over time, I think their effects on road surfaces are currently overestimated.

There aren't a huge amount of them for one. And are they heavier than the larger SUVs, delivery vans, trucks and buses which have run on these surfaces for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rustyfrog

They also accelerate and corner quicker than delivery vans and trucks though, not just down to weight.

You'd think our councillors would be shouting about the state of the roads with the festivals and race week. Y'know demanding that people pay more property tax to fund the Council etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

They can. Doesn't mean they should. That's just bad driving practice.

Are there more potholes around compared to a year ago, seem to be everywhere. And you can see some on-road metal covers are sinking further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There's been a pothole as you enter Aldi Westside for ages. To avoid, you have to veer over the white line on a sharp corner. Not council responsibility bit you would think something would be done about it.

Advertisement