Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glue Metal Saddle Post Clamp

Options
  • 17-07-2023 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a metal glue that might work on this ? i tried Gorilla Epoxy but no joy.

The clamp is specific to Rose bikes and I am looking for a replacement from them but there is an unspecified delay on the order. I've asked what the story is and if the part is in stock (even though it was listed as in stock) and am waiting to hear back.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is there such a thing as a metal glue which would do that? I'd assume it's a lost cause, with such small glue areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

As magicbastarder as pointed out, there's insufficient contact area on that. If you're determined to give it a go, perhaps an external curved strip could be bonded across the break and around the front of the clamp. That would give you more surface area. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

The problem with gluing this piece is that when you use it, the glued joint will be in tension, in other words using it, by default, will result in trying to pull the glued joint apart.

The other problem is that you're trying to glue aluminium (I presume) in, as mb pointed out, a very small contact area.

What might work is an epoxy putty (Quiksteel is a brand name). As the name suggests it's a putty rather than a liquid, so you might be able to build up a layer outside and around the break, which would be stronger than just gluing the face.

You could combine that with mefistofelino's idea of a piece of strapping, and build up the putty at the edges of the join as well as the face.

A real bodge job might be to use a jubilee clip around the seat post clamp when you have it back in place, but again, I don't really know if I'd trust any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks guys.

Regarding risk there was a bang when it happened and I initially had no idea what it was. It was only a couple of minutes later then the saddle started dropping that it became clear. Fortunately I was only 1 km from home so the out of saddle riding wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

The part is

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-xeon-cwxeon-cw-team-saddle-clamp-619356

Anyone recognise that as a rebranded somewhat standard clamp that could perhaps be found on other bikes models too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't recognise it, @harringtonp, but I'm interested in the failure mode of that part. Given where it snapped, I'd be interested to know if you used a torque wrench when tightening it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

That's good to know thanks. They hadn't come up in the initial searching I did

I can't remember. It was last tightened at least months and probably years ago. I do have a torque wrench and even if I tightened it without it, I'm usually careful not to over tighten.

The clamp is 10 years old, came with the bike in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Just be aware - that exact same ad came up for me in several different websites in different countries. Maybe some webscraping going on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's on stock on Rose when I go onto it, maybe check again, or does the delay only show when you are at checkout?

• Advertisement

I had ordered it well before posting this but the order was in a processing status for a long time.

Got on to them, think they had difficulty finding the part but it is now on its way to me.

Does show the risks of purchasing bikes that use non standard parts.

Rose aren't too bad. The saddle post, clamp and saddle were quite specific to them but the rest of the bike pretty standard

I believe Canyon have been non standard in the headset area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Aye forget about trying to glue that you'll just be wasting your time. It wouldn't even torque up let alone be durable.

Advertisement