Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large sliding doors -yay or nay?

Options
  • 16-07-2023 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on large sliding patio doors? They seem to be standard in any renovation you see on tv but I’ve never lived with them and I wonder how often they actually get used. We’re renovating and doing the usual open plan space at the back. We’ll have a regular glass door opening onto the patio near the proposed giant sliding door so thinking we could save money by just having a large window instead of the slider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Concertina with a regular opening door at one end is a better option imo. My friends have this set up, it gives them up to full width access outside which you wouldn't get with a slider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We have one, majority of our back wall downstairs is glass, we've two tilt and turn windows come doors either side and then two large pains, one of which slides, each is about 3 meters. Our garden faces east so we get morning sun and it can get very hot in summer. But it's always an nice temperature in spring autumn and if it's bright in winter. We often have the blinds down to screen out the sun and open the door fully to let out heat and let in air. Another thing to consider is that if you have the front door and back door open the door into the room can slam. Ours is by the stairs so I have a simple loop of nice cord that loop onto the door handle if needed. The door is also heavy and you need to put silicone oil and clean the runners from time to time or it hard for the kids to move. If the glass ever needs to be replaced, we have no side access so well have to crain it over the house.

I really like it but consider, hear, blinds and span of door, which affects how you mount blinds and if you want electric blinds the max you can get easily is about 2.4 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I would go sliding over bi fold. The large sliding doors can be pushed across with one finger if manufactured and installed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We have one and I'm 50/50 on it. The difference in how must resistance there is to opening is very different on hot, cold, wet, dry days if its south facing.

Also you have the problem that if its open, everything gets in. Birds being the worst offenders as they wander in, get terrified when you spot them, then hurt themselves trying to get out again. Also mice or any local rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that sliding doors typically only open for about half the width, the other part being fixed. For a 2 metre structural opening in the wall, you only get 800-900mm of door. On the flip side, it won't blow about in the wind like a swing door.

If insects are a problem, you can get a fly screen (not common in Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like those of you that have large sliders/bifolds do keep them open to the garden in nice weather then? Would you miss the door if it was just a large floor to ceiling window instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The room would overheat in good weather then, you'd have to be able to open the window

Advertisement