Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan insurance.

Options
  • 16-07-2023 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I have nearly finished converting my van to a camper due to personal reasons have left bulkhead in put no windows only a small roof light...as don't want anyone knowing it's a camper plus after researching windows cause condensation...I presently pay 333 road tax as got letter from my employer and have insurance as private not commercial..i am not inserted in the 105 road tax as believe i have to put windows in and other things to do for this cheaper rate of road tax...Now for my question will my insurance company require me to change logbook to camper or will they be happy with a van that's been modified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You may find that your current insurer wont cover it asa CV, in addition there are certain requirements that need to me met before it is classed as a CV

Windows don't cause condensation, lack of proper ventilation causes condensation

ps following your last reply I have put you in the ignore file as you disagree with my suggestion and yet admit to have a dehumidifier: keep watching videos

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Shoog

There's not a lot of flexibility or understanding in the Insurance Industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

Thanks for replying...regarding windows don't cause condensation i beg to differ as watched plenty of video on this subject before I started mine...during colder months water builds up on windscreen and windows...i have been sleeping in mine nearly a year now 5 nights aweek for work purposes ..and as i said left bulkhead in...leave roof light open during night if open to much i do get abit wet lol...and no sign of condensation as i had to remove everything to run wires to install 3 solar panels and all insulation was bone dry...i have a mini USB powered dehumidifier which surprises me how much water collects during the night caused from breathing 😀. So your saying leave windows open for ventilation and pray it don't rain..lol

Thanks for replying...i will look into changing to camper on logbook do what's needed then go from there.

Revenue requirements : Windows in back, table, cooker, bed, storage.

Insurance requirements (most Insurers offering camper insurance): Front to back access so no bulkhead, standing room or 1.8m internal height, certificates for gas if installed and a SQP report.

• Advertisement

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

thanks for this .. is there anywhere this is documented

The revenue thing is set down in statute and can be accessed on one of their websites. It's defined by an EU regulation ultimately.

If you go onto most of the insurance websites and enter you details they will have questions on front to back and height. If you answer no to either they chuck you out and ask you to phone - this is where they will grill you on the extent of your conversion and what they need you to provide to satisfy them. Each site will be different but most will have front to back and standing height as gatekeeper questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

thanks to boards I know of the height and the bulk head requirements, its annoying to have to guess other requirements based on an arbitrary form on one insurance website though.

If the bulkhead is gone and the passenger side has 2 seats, its narrow enough to get access from front to back, is this an issue ?

Can you build a cabinet partially blocking the sliding door ? If so is there a minimum access amount

etc etc

Advertisement