Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subbing work as a NQT

Options
  • 14-07-2023 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

As a newly qualified teacher I am aware I will more than likely need to sub for a while before I get anything fixed term.

I have signed up for sub seeker and keep that updated.

However, people seem to be more successful in the subbing group chats. Any advice on how to gain entry to these chats. I'd be looking for Clare/Limerick Area as I am willing to commute.

I'm just trying to be prepared for September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 inbetweentea

This might not be answering your question specifically but when I came out of my teaching dip I decided to try to get subbing work locally. I called into a huge number of schools both close by and a good bit further away, in August, if I remember correctly...but schools did get back to me, some even a good bit of time later. I got work this way.

My strategy was to make myself look presentable, go in and chat to the school secretaries. I think they were very helpful in the main. To my surprise, some called the principal on the spot, for me to chat to them. I probably made the mistake of panicking and going with the first thing- but better things came up later (maybe say from October on). I would go in around the time of Leaving Cert results- but as these seem to be a bit later this year schools may already be open/early mid-August.

My (antiquated) view is that meeting people in person is a better approach when looking for subbing work (while, of course, continuing to apply). (I am a dinosaur so if this is not the way it is done now since covid- ignore!)

I personally think subbing is both challenging and great training. Some teachers are in one school from graduation and while this must be nice (especially for security), I think that varied experiences you get through subbing (such as learning crowd control) are also very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭derb12

I’d agree with the previous poster. I’ve no experience of subbing myself, but I’ve been in two schools where the principals met with sub teachers who came in on spec (either there and then or shortly after), felt they’d be a good fit and gave them regular subbing hours. Of course I didn’t get to meet all the people who weren’t successful through that route, but I definitely got the impression that it was a good way to go.

Most people will take a solution to a problem that presents itself if it saves them trawling through CVs or web pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Hi all , not exactly NQT but have 6 years under my belt, i have done few maternity leaves and sick leaves in 2 different schools, one which was 3 years. Looking around at a few jobs and had 2 interviews so far. im in greater Leinster commuter belt area. I was just wondering is it sustainable to sub long term?, i would like to dip my toe into a few semi local schools within 20 miles radius and get some experience of them. Im also not sure if id like to put myself through the grind of full time teaching and all it entails. I have a farm business that i have grown sunstantially but in reality unless im going dairy route ( which im not going to) i would need a side hustle. i could do with being off during februaury and march, so casual week to week subbing would suit be well. naturally id like a job in a nice school with nice staff but I have put in a lot of time and effort into my previous schools with no sign of hours coming in them so I wouldnt mind some non pressure school work which wouldnt involve setting exams,parent teacher meetings etc. Do casual subs need to do these things? Im 40 now so I wont have a huge pension out of the department anyway from my years to 66, started teaching at 34. not sure how that will work out. would casual subbing be boring after a while? id pick and choose my schools naturally to keep the job easier and probably find out quickly enough which schools to avoid for future reference.

Just at a bit of a crossroads where id like to invest in farm and drive it on, i also have another project i want to get off the ground this year with the wool industry, which will need a lot of time and travel to be invested. The teaching is just very hard to move away from totally when i see the money i have got on the last few years for easy enough work.any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MizzBiz

Drop your CV into the schools you'd like to sub in. They will phone you if they need you. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs though either. You never know what a school needs and NQTs don't necessarily end up having to sub for a few years many walk into jobs that they stay in.

Advertisement