Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on turfing lawn

Options
  • 14-07-2023 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I live in a new build (approx. 5 years old) that I bought last year, the back garden has been very patchy since I moved in and judging by what was left in the shed the previous owner had mad some efforts with it.

Given it is small and I don't have a lot of time on my hands I am thinking that turning it over and buying turf may be the easiest way to address it. While it may look relatively flat when you walk on it, it feels as if cattle walked through it so it will also need levelling.

My understanding of what I need to do is spray some grass / weed killer. Wait until every thing dies and then turn over the soil. Any recommendations on grass / weed killer. How long it takes?

Then turn over the sod and add topsoil. From bits of work I have done I suspect the soil is very bad, I hound large rocks and broken bits of concrete a few inches under flower beds at the front of the house so I will likely reed to remove a good bit. So maybe add 4-6 inches?

Then I pack down the topsoil and then lay the sod and water lots?

Anything steps I am missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Hi Just wondering did you start on this and if so how you got on? Similar position myself and trying to decode what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Who2

An easy option is to rake in a sand and compost mix into the hollows, your lawn doesn’t look bad but it is the patches of clover against the grass that is making it look patchy. It may take a few runs to get to the desired finish but at least you will have a lawn the whole time while doing it. If you want to kill it off just a coat of round up leave it for two weeks and then you can try digging if you want but I think you are more than likely only putting work on yourself. Make sure it’s a lawn mix, I’d say yours is a farm mix with the amount of clover in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Just be careful of the depth level and also the care to the grass when growing.

I got a small patch done last year- I don’t think I had enough topsoil down for starters- whilst the grass grew very well, my lawnmower, even though I had it at the highest setting made a big mess of cutting it and I ruined it pretty much - so while I can’t give advice on what to do, here’s some advice on what not to do 😀

Advertisement