Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S21 FE - eSIM

Options
  • 13-07-2023 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to get some boardsie help on an issue I've only recently copped on my S21 FE. Bought my S21 FE back in Jan with the idea that it had eSIM support for travelling - was told in the 3 store that I bought it in, and confirmed on the three.ie website.

Went to Canada in the middle of June, and when I went to load up an eSIM, an error saying that my device wasn't compatible came up, which fairly messed me over. Looked it up online, and there's conflicting info. Lots of different people saying that the FE versions don't work with eSIM at all.

https://community.three.ie/t5/Android-Devices/Samsung-Galaxy-S21-FE-eSIM/m-p/783631 - Moderator on the 3 boards telling me that the devices team said it didn't have eSIM.

https://www.samsung.com/ie/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-esim-and-supported-network-carriers/ - Samsung website, half way down the page 'Galaxy devices that support eSIM', Samsung S21Fe not listed.

eSIM supplier that I wanted to use in Canada: https://www.airalo.com/help/about-airalo/what-devices-support-esim - At the bottom of Samsung devices. (*The following Samsung Galaxy devices DO NOT have eSIM capability: All Galaxy FE “Fan Edition” models.)

Had multiple chats with Samsung who told me that the device is definitely eSIM compatible, despite me showing them all this info, and they tried to troubleshoot it with me, but when we went to do this my device didn't have any of the options they were telling me to select. They told me the issue was that my phone was locked to three, so I got three to unlock my phone, and lo and behold my phone still didn't have the options for eSIM in the Settings.

Got onto Samsung again, and they just repeated the same stuff that the phone was eSIM compatible and to troubleshoot it.

[quote=Samsung]To start can we please. Set up your eSIM.

1. From the home screen, navigate to apps.

2. Select Settings.

3. Select Connections.

4. Select SIM card manager.

5. Select the + icon next to Add mobile plan

6. Select Add using QR code.

7. Using your device's camera, scan the QR code provided with your eSIM pack.

8. The eSIM profile will be downloaded. 9. Once the download is complete you will be prompted to activate your eSIM.[/quote]

The thing is, my phone does not have that option listed in point 5. Tried explaining this to them, but it was like talking to a robot, exact same repeated statements and responses. Asked to escalate up the chain and was told to wait for a call within 24hrs.

Got my phone call from Samsung UK yesterday, and it was the corporate equivilant of STFU & F off. The guy had no interest in hearing what I had to say, kept repeating that the phone does have eSIM, wouldn't listen to me, interrupted me constantly, and then told me that they would stand over the information that they have. When I asked to escalate further, he said that this is the highest it would go, and basically used the same 4 phrases word-for-word until I got tired of trying to get him to understand me, and wrapped up the call. Very disappointed.

It seems like Samsung Support have their literal holy book of what information is true and will not deviate or listen to anything else. 

tl;dr: My Samsung Galaxy S21 FE doesn't appear to have eSIM capability, but Samsung adamantedly claims it does

My question is, has anyone come across this issue before? Does anyone else have a Samsung S21 FE that they can test this on? It's doing my head in, and was one of the main reasons I bought the phone.

Thanks a million for reading.

RHG

Post edited by Redhairedguy on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dermo2014

According to Gsmarena website the s21 fe doesn't support esim.

If it had you would get the add esim option below.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Hey Dermo,

Thanks a million for the reply. You're 100% right that if my phone had eSIM I would get the option in my settings.

I also got lucky in finding a Samsung representative in a 3 store in Galway on Saturday who actually confirmed that the phone doesn't have eSIM. Samsung are giving out wrong info, and their tech support are unfortunately vehemently defending it.

Trying to think of the next step I can take.

Advertisement