Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow card, red card, threadban

Options
  • 13-07-2023 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Hello. I think this is the right place to put this. I'm just wondering about yellow cards, red cards and threadbans. Are there any guidelines on how these are handed out? Does a red card come after someone has already got a yellow card? Or can they jump straight to red? And what are the punishments? Then for threadbans, how many warnings should you get before you're threadbanned? Thanks.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I don't think cards are a thing anymore since the move to Vanilla.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The yellow and red cards are gone. Under Vanilla, there's a warning system, where a warning is issued and worth a certain number of points. A warning with 0 points is the equivalent of a yellow card, and a warning worth 1 point the equivalent of a red card.

Threadbans aren't linked to warnings. They're usually issued to avoid things escalating to where warnings would be warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Ah ok, thanks for that. And then how are these things appealed? If you get a 0 or 1 point warning, what do you do? And same for threadban?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Threadban is an informal term, it isn't a kind of formal recorded sanction like a warning point or ban is, it's classed as a moderator instruction. To appeal one, talk to the mod who applied it to see if it can be resolved.

Warnings with points are appealed under the DRP process, same as with forum bans.

Great, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies Spear but that is not quite how the process on Vanilla works

A nil pointer is a way to attach a post to a PM and I will use them to advise posters why a post has been deleted or as a bit of a shot across the bows to get a poster to rein things in a bit. They are not appealable under the DRP as they carry no wider consequence unless a poster is repeatedly getting them. Then they may get escalated to a 1 pointer which is appealable

A 1 pointer under this platform is similar to a yellow on the old platform, and a 2 pointer similar to a red card

I say similar but I will sometimes issue a nil pointer where it may have been a yellow under the old platform. That's because the points can very quickly mount up and 5 "active" points results in an automatic siteban, the length of which depending on when each point was issued

I have mentioned this elsewhere in Help Desk and Feedback threads, but with search broken I will repeat here. We will also discuss getting some wording into the Dispute Resolution Process to explain it all

So how do points accumulate? It's best highlighted by an example or two.

A 1 point warning is "active" for one week

A 2 point warning is "active" for two weeks

If you get a 1 point warning on day one and another on day one, two, three, ....or day six then that second remains active until two weeks after the first was issued, and a warning level of "2" is shown between the second warning point being applied and the end of that two week period

If you get a 1 point warning on day one and another on day 8, the slate is clean after day 7 and the second only attracts a level 1 warning until its expires a week later

Hence it's possible to get 1 point on day 1, another on day 6, another on day 13, and another on day 20, in which case a level 4 warning is on the account between day 20 and day 28

it's also possible to pick up 4 points on day 1, in which case level 4 applies between the fourth point and day 28

The really important thing to understand though is if you reach 5 "active" points an automatic siteban kicks in.

So if you are on level 4 warning at day 20 or indeed day 27, and another point is applied when on level 4, the siteban will be between the date of that 5th point and day 35, which may be as little as 8 days

If you pick up all 5 points on day one the siteban is for 5 weeks/35 days

There's been a few parts of this that have needed some clarification since the move. In particular the part about 0 point warnings not coming under DRP, so getting the DRP wording updated is overdue, even if it's not a common scenario admittedly.

Hello Beasty. You have explained things well there but it goes against what happened in the thread you closed on my threadban from the Ireland thread. I really don't get it. I got one warning, didn't break that warning and then got a threadban. You're saying 0 point warnings don't carry much consequence but I only got one of them, no 1 or 2 point warnings, then straight to a threadban. This despite not breaking any rules. It's not really a big deal but I think it's poor form really. I engaged with the mod, I've been nothing but courteous, I obeyed mod warnings but have just been told I'm out and that's that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your threadban has been dealt with and is not for further discussion

I was explaining my approach. Soccer has a very different charter than Current Affairs

Like I said, it's no big deal, just bad form is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Do mods actually tell posters whether it's a nill point of one point warning etc?

I have received warnings but I have no idea what points are attached to them?

In the message you receive notifying the warning do you not get something like this at the top of the message?

"Moderator Beasty

Points 0"

I can certainly see it at my end of the PM and presumed the recipient also gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yep, went back and checked, it's at the top alright! Cheers

Advertisement