Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Alcohol Beer in shops

Options
  • 12-07-2023 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

Rather than revive very old threads, probably best to start new ones.

Any ideas on where you can buy different types of low alcohol beer? (e.g. 2% to 3.6%) In Dublin preferably, but interested in online too.

(why? same reasons as other mentioned before, mainly to enjoy a beer that tastes like beer on a warm summer day, but feels only a 2/3s or 1/2 the alcohol effect of a regular beer).

I know Smithwicks Red, Wicklow Wolf Eden IPA, Treaty Outcast and others are 3.8%, and available in Tesco/supervalu and off licences, but I'm looking for lower.

Rockshore Lights is 3.5%, but fairly tasteless.

Molloys seems to often have more options (not on their website), I cant recall all their names now. Trouble Brewing have 3% table beer, and 3.5% little monster IPA.

Interestingly they seem to mostly cost the same as 4.5%+ beers. sometimes more!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Where in Dublin are you?

McHugh's on the Malahide Road have a great selection of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,058 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You could try experimenting mixing say NA Erdinger and regular Erdinger.

LIDL have this radler at 2.5% for 99c but it's very citrus lemony, like a beer and lemon shandy.

https://www.lidl.ie/p/summer-bbq/cloudy-radler-2-5/p11253

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Corona Light (Ligera) is 3.4%, bottles are sized 355ml, tastes almost identical to the original Mexican brewed stuff.

Tesco, Dunnes and SuperValu stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Any craft beer with Session in the name tends to be in around the 3% mark. Try a few of those and see if anything truckles your onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Thanks, I've found this to be sometimes, but rarely the case. e.g. Founders Session IPA is 4.7%, Solas Session IPA is 4.5%, foxes rock session IPA is 4.1%, journeyman session IPA is 4.5%, sierra nevada summer break session IPA is 4.6%, and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I sometimes do this myself, will mix a can of 0.5% beer with regular IPA to get something a bit lighter.

Could try that. I find the pre-mixed “radlers” unbearably sweet. Nicer to just use lemonade and lager.

IPA and lemonade are too much of a flavour clash for me, whereas the lemonade adds something to a plain lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I’d recommend Whiplash Rollover IPA. It’s 3.8% and my go-to for a session beer. I find a lot of the sub 4% ones quite lacking in flavour but definitely enjoy this.

Another session IPA I found that I enjoyed was To Ol - City Session IPA. Danish brewery I think. Might be above 4% though

+1 for McHugh’s for an amazing selection. Also Sweeney’s in Dublin 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Galway Bay's Weights and Measures is 3% and decent enough.

+1 on Whiplash Rollover too.

Totally agree that session beers seem to be getting stronger and stronger though. Anything over 4% shouldn't really be called a session beer IMO.

Aldi have a Nano IPA in their decent Roadworks range (made by Pearse Lyons?) , 3.2%

Tasty enough. Lacking a bit of depth/body but that's to be expected compared with the 4.5% or 5.9% Roadworks versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

UK market seems to have a bigger selection. Would love to see drinks range between 1% & 3% strength.

Advertisement