Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mason Resolution - User POV

Options
  • 12-07-2023 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello there,

Currently evaluating the mason steel bike

Was wondering if anyone has one and could share thier experiences

As an the site reviews are very very good but that could you down to supporting local brands.

I'm not a racer but like doing long rides and on the wrong side of 50.

Cheers

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They look lovely, but I'm scratching my head why they're so much for expensive than say a fairlight or genesis.. the price for complete builds is pretty high. Franeset on its own seems better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sanjbmw2001

I think it is coz the mason is totally built in EMEA, whereas the strael 3 is built in Taiwan and finished in England.

Also importing Mason to Ireland there is no duties whereas the strael may have import duties. If that is the case it might land at the same price as the Mason

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Underpinner

I have a Definition. I went over to their workshop outside Brighton in 2019. I tried the Resolution. I would describe the Definition as faster and more agile. The Resolution is a superb bike, built specifically for comfort and endurance. The standard of workmanship on all their bikes is superb. The frames are built in Italy. They are expensive, like all bikes, prices have risen by 20% or more since Covid. Mason say their bikes are ‘one bike’, built for all seasons. I have several bikes and would like more, that said I have used the Mason consistently more than the others out together since I bought it. Highly recommend.

Thanks Underpinner.

Would like to get a steel bike. Your inputs have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Underpinner

Rourke make very nice bikes in England but Brexit has made dealing with them difficult. As said already, Mason have that figured out but you’re now paying £200 handling, whereas it was about £100 delivery. If I was looking now I’d consider Standert.de who have some very nice, looks like European built bikes, including stainless steel. They’re in Berlin and have a good reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Donard CC in Northern Ireland are worthy of a menton as well.

https://www.donard.cc/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Long wait for donard though I think.

Was also looking at Battaglin. custom made. Italian.

Looks like a thing of beauty but very very dear.

Wish I had the finances for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would also take a look at Genesis (framesets only - full bikes don't seem like good value at all these days) if you can somehow pick up from the UK or NI. I have a Croix de Fer 853 which I got for 800€ pre-Brexit, and an Equilbrium which I somehow got from a dealer that was giving up selling the brand for 350€.

They are not as rare or as nice as some of the options you mention, but I've managed to build very nice steel road and gravel bikes for 1500-2000€ each.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

If anyone has a Genesis frame (size 56) that they'd like to sell to me for €350, please feel free to pm me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ok that is maybe an exception that I wouldn't be able to repeat again too easily, but you can find a Croix de Fer frameset without too much looking for under 600 from the UK (whereas if you want hydraulic brakes, full Genesis builds are now close to 3000 euro). Brexit is the issue in finding stores that will easily ship to Ireland without duty issues

Or try this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266324269849?hash=item3e0229db19:g:fegAAOSwUWtkpTUU&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0IIX%2Bgdym3AvIqgHLF%2FW11X41enY%2BM2DZwPOtX%2Bs47ttpe82qf66hcnOrPNRtsl3ebo1ZLO4iUIWX3jMKL2NgBg%2BIcPkP%2FJxhUNbXMQmHaqae986ptpqrD4KNuer2AkiwzAce8YFrZT8O5EGGH6SfJvqbEsDgBHX%2FSgVRLeMNZz7cMlHtxUx2EAdszbMzhqt0HDXixbDQPViuEg%2FUSh5MVKvmeMVne79Wazb5XumYkY%2FAMsYcpfs6HnxqjCP80rPpkDCYL7oxQH0ZGUmtmT9OYY%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-TJwYKtYg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

Oh, no, you misunderstood. I just really want a cheap Genesis frame 😂😂😂

Thanks Folks,

A follow-up Q - Would it be more economical if I get the Mason frame only and then get the bike built in Dublin with 105 groupset with Aluminium wheelset?

I was thinking of:

1) Shimano 105

2) Rim Brakes - enough gap to take 28mm tires

3) Al. wheelset - Scribe / Zonda

4) Cinturato Velo tires

5) Al. Handlebar and seat post

Advertisement